Chapter 38: Flashback: Attu Island, North Pacific, 1942

"What?" Indy stammered.

Ross was gasping for air.

Something hit the barrow.

Ross pointed as more dirt, dust and ice shook the ancient mound. "Mortar rounds. Fired by their ships. On fishing boats. I thought they were fishing boats."

A rock collapsed from the ceiling. Indy shoved one of the swords into Ross's hand, and swooped Seal Child from the ground. "Time to go."

"What about the giant?" Seal Child asked.

"There's a giant here?" Ross scrambled to understand. He stared at the sword in his hands uselessly. "What's this?"

"C'mon!" Indy grabbed Ross by the collar and they bolted from the tomb. "Out! Run!"

Another mortar struck the tomb, blowing out part of the vaulted ceiling. Indy glanced back and thought he saw glowing eyes.

A stone crushed their flashlight.

"GO!" Indy yelled, shoving Ross forward through the tunnel. "Take the kid!"

Indy held the sword, knowing how to use it - realizing that it was an ancient style from Japan. It suddenly made sense why the Japanese wanted to capture the island.

Indy cursed quietly, using his cigarette lighter to search the room. Nothing. No glowing eyes. "Dad slapped me for it, while we were searching for the Holy Grail," he muttered. "But sometimes, legends and fairytales are just myths."

His father's voice echoed through his head. "Yes, Junior - but the ancient peoples considered the word 'myth' to mean story. And for them, there was no difference between a story, a legend and their reality of ancient gods, goddesses, shamans and curses. Supernatural and natural were one reality that humans were active participants in. You should really start paying attention, Junior!"

"Uncle Indy!" Seal Child yelled.

Indy bolted through the narrow tunnel, diving, scrambling and out into the blinding sunlight.