Chapter 30 - Acting Too Rash

Start from the beginning

Honestly, Cain felt like his acting at this point could win him an award of some kind.

William refused to cower despite the pain running up his arm and instead grits his teeth stubbornly.

"You are no longer in charge of me." Cain declared. "If any of what this flier says is true, I'll make sure you face justice. And if Lena ever returns, I'll make sure she also faces justice!"

Releasing the Duke's wrist, the two glared at one another until a servant barged in and bowed. "Um, excuse me master Duclair, but the Crown Prince has arrived."

"What?!" They both asked in unison.

"He's waiting downstairs in the tea room."

William rubbed his wrist and cast one more disdainful look at Cain. "Lock him up in this room. Don't let him leave." He ordered the servant and rushed through the door.

The young man bowed quickly, then went to lock the door behind him, but Cain decided today would be the day he made a point and instead, pushed the door open and followed after his father.

Descending the staircase, he went straight into the tea room where two guards stood on either side of the prince as his father bowed in front of him, only to have his eyes nearly bulge out of his skull when he noticed Cain had followed.

Andrew was also in the room, arms crossed and pacing when Cain arrived.

"What do you think you are doing?" William growled low, not wanting to raise his voice in the Prince's presence.

Cain eyed the Crown Prince. He had curly black hair, violet eyes, and wore a dark navy blue suit decorated with gold medals and silver ribbons. His cuffs looked to be cut from pure blue diamonds, as was his broach. The guards on either side of the man had their hands on their swords, eyeing Cain suspiciously.

"I want an answer." Cain continued with his act now that he had an audience. "Is anything on that flyer true?"

"Get out!" Andrew hissed.

"No." It was the Prince's curious voice that interjected the family squabble. The man stood from the couch and stepped around the table, eyes focused on Cain. "I want to hear what this is about. Go on." He nodded toward the blond.

Cain hadn't expected the Prince to play along so well but was grateful for the opportunity.

"I just want to know if any of it is true. That 'maid' they mentioned was my birth mother, and she died of a mysterious illness."

"Exactly!" William scoffed. "She had poor health! Lena would never harm anyone. These are just some poor defamation attempts, that you concocted!"

"Why are you so insistent it was me? What reason would I have?"

"It's right here!" He pointed at the flier. "You think Lena killed your stepmother, and because your brother is inheriting the title you want to take us all down. Notice how you're the only one who doesn't have a single negative thing written about you?"

"Are you serious right now? Have you never heard about any of the rumors that Andrew has spread about me?"

"Andrew would never-"

"Lena would never! Andrew would never! That's all you say yet can't prove otherwise!"

"And you can't prove likewise!" William slammed the flyer down. "Now show some respect while in the Prince's presence and lower your voice!"

Cain frowned, hoping this display would deter their audience from picking immediate sides. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work as the Prince raised a gentle hand. "Gentlemen, I see that these terrible rumors have caused some family drama. However, I am here to help ease your concerns."