chapter 24

"are you ok?" I ask callum who had gotten scarily quiet as we drove down the highway to the rehabilitation hospital.
"what?" he asks snapping his head from the window to me.
"are you ok?" I repeat gently.
"erm, yeah" he says quickly.
"callum, it's obvious your not, what are you thinking about?"
"it's nothing"
"you can tell me, you know that" I say truthfully to him, turning down the radio.
"it's just, what if hes just using being abused as an excuse and he likes drugs and doesn't want to stop? What if he really wanted to hurt me and doesn't regret it?" he asks looking down to his hands that haven't stopped fidgeting.
"callum, i know it's scary, remember he was abused and kept it inside for so long, it obviously messed him up and that's why he does drugs, maybe he does like them and doesn't want to stop, but thats why he needs you, to know that you won't turn your back on him like your mum did, to know he doesn't need to do drugs to make him forget the pain"
"are you in pain, because of what happened?" he asked looking at me briefly before back to his hands.
"yes, sometimes I mean, it does hurt to think about what happened but I cant let it change me"
"will he get better?"
"I think he will, make him realise that that it won't really help with it and that it's whats for the best, he does care about you, i think he's scared"
"scared?"
"yes, think about everything that's happened to him, he was abused, got addicted to drugs, lost his wife over it, hurt his own kid, i think he's scared of having to really deal with it all"
"but he will if he knows I forgive him?"
"yes, do you forgive him?"
"I think, you made alot of sense there now"
"thanks" we stay silent for the rest of the drive and when we finally pull up, I notice how pale callum has got.
"it'll be ok, i promsie" i say taking his hand as we walk through the doors, he cracks a small smile.
"thanks" he says and walks to the desk, he gives her his dad's details and we're then lead into a room, his dad is sitting across a small table, he looks awful, he has stubble growing around his chin, his eyes are dull and bloodshot, he's pale and has dark circles under his eyes.
"callum, you came" he says and his eyes light up slightly as his thin cracked lips turn into a smile, he stands up and goes to hug callum, he takes a step back and apologises then, his voice is small and tight.
"it's ok, i get why you are a little wary around me, I'm so sorry callum, i never meant to hurt you or max or Amy or eve Janet" he says looking into callums eyes, his eyes are sad and hos voice has dropped, callum looks up to his eyes.
"i know, let's sit down" callum suggests, i sit down beside him and watch his dad closely, scared that he'll upset callum.
"how are you now? I know you were in hospital" his dad says looking down, ashamed.
"I'm ok, i have a few broken ribs and a messed up shoulder blade, i was tested for a concussion but it came back clear" callum informs him, his dad's eyes start to tear up but he sniffs and there soon gone, replaced with sadness and guilt.
"I'm so sorry callum, i don't know what happened"
"mum said you were abused" callum says quietly but after a few moments of silence pass he looks up to see his dad staring back at him, he's shocked, hurt and obviously in pain.
"yes, i was" he replies even quieter.
"why didn't you tell us?"
"I wanted to forget about it, you don't know what it's like, you know my mother died in child birth and my dad blamed me, he would do drugs too and then he abused me, i kept it to myself and when it got too much to handle i tried drugs, it numbed me and that was better than feeling the pain, your mum found out and said if i didn't stop she would leave me, i did try but I couldn't" his dad admits sadly.
"why didn't you get real help? You told us you didn't want real help"
"I know, I was going to counselling to try to help, i didn't tell you because I didn't know if it would help and i didn't want to disappoint you guys, i should have let you help"
"are you getting help now?"
"yes, I'm doing what I can in here and then I'll have to serve some time in prison"
"prison?"
"yes, only a few months, a year at most, for illegal use if drugs and possession and for domestic abuse, i know you didn't want to charge me with child abuse, why not?"
"I know you need help, listen dad, mum turned her back on you when she could have helped, if she didn't do that, maybe you wouldn't be here right now, i don't want to do that, I know it's been tough for you, so I forgive you, as long as you swear you will recover"
"I will, thank you so much callum" his dad says happily.
"mum won't let any of us near you until you've recovered, you can't see max or Amy until you have"
"what did she say when you told her you were seeing me?"
"I didn't tell her, i don't want to fight with her about because I can't choose between my parents, but I swear if you don't try to recover, I'm out, ok?"
"yeah, ok, how is amy and max?"
"they're ok, they said they hate you though, when they saw me but I told them you weren't well, they're ok now, they don't want to see you until your better"
"I promsie i will recover for all of you, how's your mum?"
"she hates you, obviously"
"you know, despite all the crap she gives me, i still love her"
"really?"
"yes, do you think she would take me back when I recover?"
"I dunno dad"
"yeah, I know, I'm just getting excited, it would be a blessing if all three of you could fully forgive me"
"we will, once you recover"
"thank you, your a good person callum, I'm proud of you for putting up with all of my crap, looking out for amy and max and even behaving at school, and getting on with Leia"
"thanks"

Callums POV

Ever since I first walked through the door my heart rate increased, when he went to hug me im pretty sure it stopped, i didn't mean to flinch i just did, im really proud of him though, he sounds like he really does want to turn his life around and i will help him.

"how long will you be here for?" I ask after a few moments of silence.
"about a month or two, depends on my progress, how's Emily?"
"I dunno, I haven't seen her, did you see her after the police came?"
"no, she gave a statement, i know that, but thats all"
"I'll see if I can talk to her"
"callum, i really am so happy to see you and to hear that you forgive me, but I don't want you to see me when it's tough, i know I look like shit but it will get harder and I'd prefer you to see me after I'm clean, do you get that?" I thought about it for a while, i don't really want to see him when he's finding it hard, it would be hard to see and he might do something again, but I want to be able to support him, if he thinks it's best though I will do it, i just want him to recover.
"yeah, I get it" I say atlast, my dad let's out a breathe of relief.
"i feel better already, kinda, healthier, more stable, clearer head, more at peace, it really is helpful, getting real help"
"I'm glad, i promise dad i won't turn my back on you, I'll be here for you until you've recovered, no matter what"
"what about your mum?"
"she won't know, I'll tell her when your better, maybe"
"maybe not" he said with a light laugh, i joined him and we smiled at eachother, then the officer came over.
"sir, the hours up, you need to go now" really? Has it been an hour?
"erm, okay, I'll see you later dad" i say awkwardly.
"bye" he smiled, i returned it and me and leia walked out, we reached the car and sat in silence.
"aren't you gonna drive?" I ask.
"do you wanna talk first?" she asks softly.
"let's go somehwere, starbucks?"
"I like your taste" she said with a small smile and then drove us to my favourite coffee shop.