chapter 5

"callum, sweetheart, wake up" I hear Emily coo, while lightly Shaking my shoulder.
"fuck off" I groan turning over on the tiny sofa.
"language callum, wake up, you have lunch today with your girlfriend but before..." I cut her off.
"my girlfriend?" I question sitting up.
"your girlfriend? Leia?" she asks.
"oh fuck, she's not my girlfriend"
"ok, well your friend, but before you have to help me and your dad out"
"with what?"
"your dad's a bit behind with the rent, so him and the land owner made an agreement that if he helped him clean out the basement, he could let it slide this once" she explains to me.
"we can't really be that low on money, what happened to his job?"
"erm... He, well"
"drugs?"
"yeah, but that was last month, it was just a relapse"
"that fucker!" I scream standing up.
"now calm down, he's ok now, he's recovering and when your recovering from something you are gonna relapse"
"well if he 'relapses' again, I'm out"
"just talk to him today, while you help clean up the basement, please?"
"fine, one more time though"
"okay, thank you" I sigh and go into the only bathroom in his shirty apartment, when I'm done I put on a pair of dark jeans and go make breakfast.
"hello son" my dad calls while coming into the kitchen.
"drugs again?"
"what?"
"don't fucking lie to me, Emily told me you 'relaosed' last month and that now I have to help you clean the basement"
"I know, I'm sorry, but it was only once I swear"
"sure it was"
"I wouldn't lie to you callum"
"well why didn't you tell me then?"
"I didn't want to hurt you"
"let's just get it over and done with"
"ok, I'll be ready in half an hour"
"I'll get a head start" I say putting on my shoes and socks and a black top.
"callum, you do know it is hard, but I'm trying because I don't want to lose you"
"yeah, whatever" I mutter as I leave him in the apartment, i walk to Mr hills, the land owners, apartment and wait for him to answer, after a while the door unlocks and it reveals a tired late twenties man in his boxers with messy brown hair with blonde highlights.
"callum, i haven't seen you in a while, how are you?" he asks inviting me in.
"I'm good, but I'm not staying, i was wandering if i could start on the basement?"
"oh yeah sure, one sec" he dissappears for a few minutes and reappears wearing some jeans and a hoodie.
"let's go" he leads me down a few flights of stairs to the basement.
"ok, sorrento much pack everything into boxes and take it up to the top floor landing, got it?"
"yeah" he slaps my back and walks back up the stairs, i get started, packing all the old junk into boxes until my phone starts ringing and leias face pops up, one of the pictures I took yesterday.
"what?" I snap.
"whats wrong with you?"
"nothing, what do you want?"
"what time are we meeting for lunch?"
"I'll pick you up at two"
"or we can all just meet at the restaurant"
"no, I'll pick you and mark up from your apartment so you can't decide halfway through to leave"
"hopefully I won't have to come to that decision"
"you could piss me off too"
"I know, you sound busy so I'll see you at two"
"ok, bye" she hangs up and i get back to the work, i pack two boxes at a time and carry them up the stairs, after an hour I'm not even half done and start to wonder where my dad is.
I bring out my phone and call him.
"hello?"
"where are you?"
"I'll be down soon"
"I swear to god if you expect me to do all this because you've got a problem"
"I don't, I'll be down now"
"well hurry" I take the next two boxes and make my way up the stairs, i turn on a platform halfway through the staircase and knock into my dad, I go flying down the full flight and the boxes land on top of me.
"fuck, callum, are you ok?"
"I'm fine" I stand up and ignore the throbbing pain in my shoulder.
"what the fuck is that!?" I say pointing to a small bag with powder in it, that fell from his pocket.
"i-i from last month, i didn't wear this pair of jeans since, i must have forgot about it"
"your a fucking liar, and you wanted me to do all this because you 'relapsed'? You need real fucking help, from rehab or something, but until you get it, stay away from me"
"please callum, just listen to me"
"fine, you have two minutes"
"I've been on this shit for a long time and you cant just forget about it, I haven't done it since last month and i didn't even do it all, i swear I forgot all about them, i didn't get a new batch or anything, but please just give me a chance to prove I cant do this"
"you already had one, this is why mum divorced you"
"I know but please, your my only son, and if it weren't for you, I would still be on this shit, hard"
"you know what? I need time to think, finish the rest yourself" I say storming off, he grabs my shoulder and i hiss in pain.
"please callum"
"I'll talk later" i snap pulling away and going to the apartment, i gather my keys and stuff and get a cab back to my mums house, i decide not to tell her incase i want to talk to him later, but I'm so mad at him,
He told me he kicked it, that it was history, he fucking lied!
I drive for about an hour around random places and end up at leias apartment.