39TH FABLE: ENGLISH

"The Fable of Squash and the Other Vegetables"

Once upon a time, in a lush green meadow, there lived a lively group of vegetables. Among them was a young and ambitious squash named Sammy. Sammy was known for being quite proud of his vibrant orange color and his perfectly rounded shape. He believed that his appearance made him superior to the other vegetables and often boasted about it.

One sunny day, as Sammy was basking in the warm glow of the sun, a wise old oak tree named Oliver spotted him. Oliver had seen many seasons come and go and had witnessed the rise and fall of many young vegetables who let pride get the best of them. He decided it was time to teach Sammy an important lesson.

Oliver called out to Sammy, "Greetings, young squash! It seems you take great pride in your appearance."

Sammy, feeling important, replied, "Indeed, wise tree! I am the most beautiful and perfect squash in the entire meadow."

Oliver chuckled softly and said, "Ah, my dear Sammy, beauty is but skin deep. True worth lies in the kindness of one's heart and the actions they take."

Sammy was taken aback. He had never considered that there might be more to life than just his looks. Intrigued, he asked, "Tell me, wise tree, how can I prove my worth beyond my appearance?"

Oliver smiled and said, "Tomorrow, the meadow will host a grand feast, and all the vegetables will be part of it. I challenge you to be of service to your fellow vegetables during this event."

Sammy hesitated for a moment but accepted the challenge, eager to prove himself. The next day, the meadow was buzzing with excitement as the feast began. There were platters filled with delicious vegetables, fruits, and various treats.

Sammy, determined to fulfill his challenge, offered his assistance to the other vegetables. He helped carry heavy trays, chopped vegetables for the chefs, and even made sure everyone had enough to eat. His fellow vegetables were grateful for his selfless acts and admired his newfound humility.

As the feast came to an end, Oliver approached Sammy, his eyes twinkling with pride. "Sammy, my young squash, you have learned a valuable lesson today. True beauty lies not in appearance, but in the kindness and selflessness of one's actions."

Sammy nodded, feeling humbled and grateful for the lesson he had learned. From that day forward, Sammy became a symbol of kindness and generosity in the meadow. He no longer boasted about his appearance but instead focused on being a friend to all the vegetables.

Lesson Learned:

And so, the Fable of Squash teaches us that true beauty comes from within, and it is the actions we take and the kindness we show that define our worth. Just as Sammy learned, it is important to embrace humility and use our strengths to uplift others, for that is what truly makes us shine in the eyes of others.