Chapter 21

—Emily's POV—

Chicken Parmesan, Caprese Salad, Tomato Soup, Spaghetti Carbonara, Meatballs with salsa, Lasagna and so much more! How do people ever choose what to eat? It's impossible.

"Have the ladies decided yet?" The waiter asks. He looks pretty young, around our age I'd guess. Brown eyes and brown curly hair. Clearly Italian based on the accent too. "H-have you?"

Jesus Christ... Was I staring? "Yes, I'm sorry." I chuckle and look away. "I'll have the Spaghetti Carbonara, thank you." He smiles at me and takes the menu. He takes Andrea's and Ally's orders too and then heads to the kitchen.

"Emily!" Ally yells. "You were totally staring!"

"I was not!" Lie.

Ally and Andrea look at each other and laugh. "Sure."

"Someone doesn't look happy." Andrea suddenly says.

"Jake?" I ask in a low voice, she nods. "Was he looking?" My back is towards him so I can't see him, Andrea is sitting opposite to me, so she has a clear view.

"Was? He's still looking at you- No. Now he's looking at the waiter. He does not look happy." I want to turn around so badly. But I can't.

I start eating the bread on the table to get my mind off of things. And dear God did that work. How does someone bake something so magnificent? It's just bread but it's like a whole other world. The crust is so crispy and the bread itself is warm and soft. I drink some water and about twenty minutes later my bladder is about to explode.

"Excuse me." I say, standing up.

"You okay?" Ally asks.

"Yeah, just have to use the bathroom." I smile and walk away. I look around for a while but can't find it, so I ask a waitress and she points me to the right of the restaurant. I thank her and walk over there. Once I'm in I'm pretty shocked. It's so classy. Clean and smells good. You don't find a lot of those places in New York City.

When I'm done I wash my hands and open the door to return to my table when someone grabs me by my arm and drags me into the men's room. "Let go!" I yell.

"What was that?" A male voice shouts and when I look up I see him.

"Jake, what the hell? You can't just drag me wherever you want." I place my hands on my hips.

"What was that?" He asks again.

"What was what?"

"That over there." He points outside. "With the waiter." Is he kidding?

"What? I'm not allowed to look at other guys?"

"No."

"Excuse me? I can and will do whatever I want." I'm angry now. Who does he think he is? "We're not together, remember?"

"Yes. I remember. But that does not give you the right to just go around and-"

"And what? Look at other guys? Breathe the same air as them? Live on the same planet as them? It's a little hard to just ignore every guy on the planet, Jake."

"That's not what I said. You just can't go and flirt with anyone."

"Flirt? Flirt?! I barely spoke to the guy!" I yell.

"Well, two can play that game!" He yells back.

"What game?! There is no game!"

"This-" He waves his hand between me and him. "This is over right?"

"Yes." That didn't come out as steadily as I'd like.

"Good. Then ask him out and I'll ask the waitress out."