Chapter 9

—Emily's POV—

I was just putting on my dress and fixing my makeup when mom walked in, "Hi honey! Oh my God... You're so beautiful." Oh no.

"Mom don't cry. Please."

"It's just- You're so... I can't believe my baby's all grown up."

"Thea, stop. Our daughter is still our baby no matter what. Let her be now. She has to get going. You look great." Dad comes and saves me from this.

"Thanks dad." I say and hug him.

"Wait- what are you doing here? Weren't you guys supposed to go out for dinner?" I ask, confused.

"We were but the restaurant had mixed up our reservation with another couple, so they went in instead."

"Oh, sorry. But really. I have to go now. Jake is probably waiting for me outside." I say and get my purse and phone. As I walk downstairs I hear dad and mom following me. Jake cannot meet them. It would be too embarrassing-

"What's up shortie?" No no. Oh no. I turn around to face the door and who's standing there? Jake, perfect Jake in his perfect suit. Oh, so many butterflies.

I want to kill them.

"Ready to go?" He asks me.

"Not so fast... Jake." Please don't...

"Dad..." I say and give him the look which he completely ignores.

"So this is Jake?" He says and points to him, I nod. Dad leans closer to me and whispers, "What do you see in him?"

"Dad!" Kill me. Kill me now.

"I'm a real gentleman, Henry. I'll treat your daughter right." Jake says, giving me a smile. God. My knees are about to give out.

"I'm sure you will." Mom says and gives me and Jake a smile. "But for now, please stand by the staircase, I want to take a few pictures."

"Do we have to?"

"Now, now... If your mother wants to take pictures of us Emily, she can. Where do you want us facing?" He asks her.

"Just over there, Jake you can grab- Oh, just like that actually." He slides his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him until my back touches his front. I suck in a quick breath when we touch. Mom takes a few pictures then looks down at the phone to check them out, Jake takes the opportunity to lean down and whisper against my ear, "I felt that."

Not wanting to admit defeat I whisper back, "I was just breathing. Don't get too excited." I hear him mumble something in return, but I don't ask him to clarify. Mom makes us retake a few pictures and then we leave.

We arrive about twenty minutes later. "After you." Jake says and holds the door open for me.

"Thank you." I say and walk in with Jake tightly behind me. He places a hand on my lower back as we walk and I'm freaking out. He's so warm and soft. Can't the butterflies control themselves?

"You can go and get us a table. I'll get us some drinks." I nod and find two empty seats at the nearest table.

"Hi! Are you Emily Sterling?" A man, who looks much older than a student, comes up to me. Must be one of the parents supervising the dance.

"Ehm... Yes, that's me." He smiles and takes a seat next to me.

"I'm Zach, Jake's dad. I do some volunteering at this school." Oh. His dad? They look so alike now that I take a closer look. I did briefly meet him at the store too if I remember correctly that time with-