Chapter 6

—Emily's POV—

Zach? I have absolutely no idea who that is. But then again, it's not like I know every person's dad or mom that goes to my school. Maybe dad or mom knows him? No, how would they? And why would they? Anyway, not enough time to think about that, I've been thinking about it since yesterday. I've got to go to school. No, I've got to get dressed. No, I've got to stop watching Grey's Anatomy, and then I've got to get dressed. God... Get a grip on yourself Em.

"Hey, Emily?" Asher walks into my room with his books in his hands, "Why aren't you dressed yet? The bus is going to be here in a few minutes."

"I know I know... Just give me five minutes."

"Three." He says and leaves my room for me to change. I chose a green t-shirt with a picture of an alien and... Jeans or leggings? Leggings. I quickly put them on and walk downstairs to get my bag and say goodbye to dad in the kitchen. "Got to go, dad. See you later!" I say and kiss him on the cheek.

"Bye Emi-" He stops when he sees me, "Go up and change."

"What?"

"Go up and change. My daughter is not going to go to school in leggings. I know what guys are thinking at your age." Is he serious?

"Dad, it's just pants. And what are guys thinking?" I ask knowing the question but it's pretty fun bugging him.

"They just- It's not- They only want- Just change! I don't want anyone looking at my daughter like that." He says and I can't stop myself from laughing.

"Fine. But just this time." I say, walking back up to my room and changing to high-waisted jeans instead. Not going to lie, I kind of like this look better. But I'm not going to say that to dad.

I walk back downstairs and say goodbye to dad a second time and just as I step out of the front door I see the bus driving by with Asher smiling and flipping me off through the window. And not even a second later I feel a raindrop on my head, and another one, and another one. Great... Now I'm going to be late and it's raining. I start walking the path to school and about two minutes later a car slows down next to me. I look through the window to try and see who it is, but the rain is making it difficult, it's not until the window scrolls down that I recognize the face, "Hey shortie."

"Jake..."

"Missed the bus?"

"No. I just thought 'Hey Emily! Today looks like a nice day to take a walk in the rain to school.'" I look at him, "Yes. I missed the bus." He puts the car in park, leans over to the other side, and opens the passenger door, "Get in." I look at him. Why is he nice? "I'm not waiting forever." He continues.

"Right. Sorry." I say and get into the car, "Thanks."

"No problem." He looks at me, still not driving.

"What?" I ask. He points to the seatbelt and then points at me, "Not driving if you don't put that on. Don't want you to get hurt shortie."

"Are you saying that we're going to crash?"

"No, but safety first." He leans over to my seat and takes the seatbelt and fastens it for me, then he raises his head, pausing when getting right in front of mine. Damned butterflies... Our eyes lock and we both sit like that for a few seconds until I tear away, "Well it's on now. I think you can drive." His gaze lingers on mine for a few more seconds before turning back to the road, "Right. Yeah."

Driving to school is pretty quiet. But not the awkward type, just quiet, the comfortable type. I kind of enjoy it to be honest. It's just weird to think that I've begun to enjoy spending time with Jake. I never would've believed it if someone told me I'd be comfortable and appreciate spending time with Jake, never in a million years. But now? Now, that's changed. And I honestly don't know if I like it. Or if I can trust it.