Chapter 7

—Emily's POV—

I'll never understand this school and why everybody is in everybody's business all the time. Is it too much to ask for people to grow up? To stop being so immature? "Well throw some punches!" Someone from the back screams.

"We're not in a fight!" I scream back.

"Yes, we are, this bitch thinks that she can just take Jake away from me!"

"You know what? If you want him so much then here you go! You can have him! I don't want him!" I scream and push my way through the crowd to the main doors. And just as my luck has it I just missed the bus and it's still raining.

You know that one day where you feel like your life is some tv-show and a really depressing episode? Yeah, me too. That day is today.

I mean I'm basically the talk of the school and will probably stay that way for a good time, I have missed the bus two times now (in the same day) and both times that I've missed the bus it's raining. God is not with me right now and I know it. And not only is it raining, it's pouring. "You really have something against me don't you?" I say, standing on the sidewalk, drenched and uncomfortable.

"Excuse me?" I hear a voice behind me, "Did you say something?" I turn around and see a guy.

"Oh... No. I'm sorry, I was just talking to myself..."

"Oh-" He laughs, "Do you possibly know where the bus stop is?"

"Yeah, it's over there." I point towards two trees, "But you just missed it and the next one won't come for another 35 minutes." I say and hear him sigh.

"Perfect... Is there any other way to get to this place?" He asks me and hands me a paper with an address on it.

"Well, it's raining pretty hard so it's hard to see but I think I know where this is. It's on the way to my house so you can follow me."

"Oh, gracias." He says and we start to walk. Have I met him before? I don't recognize him. "I'm Carlos by the way. I'm an exchange student from Spain."

"I'm Emily." I reply and shake his hand, "So, since we have a bit to walk... Why don't you tell me something about you?"

"Okay, I am from Spain like I said. I'm 19 years old, an only child, my parents divorced when I was young so my dad moved back to the states-"

"Oh, your dad is from here?"

"Yeah, so I'm half American too. It's just that he left when I was little so I don't really identify as American. He grew up here and after college, he went to Spain, met my mom, but when she became pregnant he was not so happy. He didn't want children so he left. But she was determined, she wanted a baby and she got a baby, me." He laughs.

"That's so sad though. About your dad. Do you know his name or where he is now?" I ask.

"No... My mom doesn't want to tell me. She doesn't talk about him so much, I understand why. I only know that he lived near San Francisco before he moved to Spain, but I have no idea where he is now." That's sad. Not knowing your father. Can't imagine.

Carlos and I talk the entire way to his house. We say goodbye and I continue the walk to my house in the rain and I'm so happy when I see our door.

"Finally!" I scream as I step into the house.

"Em? Is that you?" I hear Asher yell from upstairs.

"Yes!" I take my jacket off and my hair is drenched. It's like I just got out of the shower.

"I put an umbrella in your bag this morning..." He comes to the stairs, looks at me and smirks. "Just thought you should know." And with that, he runs back to his room.