Chapter 14

—Emily's POV—

He did. He did repeat but it still won't get into my head. Me? Being Jake's girlfriend? I know we're dating but this all makes it so real somehow. How will everyone react? Should I even be thinking about everyone else right now? He's staring at me, I better say something.

"The food is amazing." Not exactly what I thought I'd say but at least it's something. Right?

"What?"

"The ehm... Food, it's really great."

"Did you hear me?"

"Yeah, yeah. I just... Can you ask one more time?"

"Are you really going to make me say it?" He asks.

"Uh huh." I smile.

"Fuck..." He sighs. "Fine. Emily Sterling, will you be my girlfriend? Also, I won't ask again."

"Hmm... Tough question." I look around the room. Why not drag it out?

"It's not a tough question. Yes or no?" He smiles. Is that a hint of nervousness I detect?

"Well, what do you think?"

"Yes?"

"Of course, yes! Are you stupid?" I laugh.

"Did you just call your boyfriend stupid?"

"Oh, wow..."

"What?"

"You just called yourself my boyfriend. It just- It felt different to hear it." I pause. "Good different."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Well, it felt good to say it too." He says, leaning over to kiss me.

"That felt good too." I say against his mouth.

He moves closer to me, his lips brushing my ear. "You have no fucking idea what I'm going to do to you later."

"Please, enlighten me." I say. "But before you do I think you'd like to know that I'm not wearing my Batman panties or my Captain America bra."

"Really? What are you wearing then?"

"Nothing." I leave a soft kiss on his lips, teasing him.

"Emily..."

A waiter clears his throat, making both of us sit up straight. "Is everything to your liking?"

"Yes, it's very good. The chef is excellent." I smile.

"Good to hear. Would you like to look at the dessert menu or-"

"We'll take the check." Jake cuts in. The waiter nods, takes our empty plates and leaves.

"Not a dessert person?" I ask.

"Oh no I am, but they don't really have what I want." He smirks and looks at me.

After a small fight over the check Jake pays and promises me that I'll get to pay next time. He, again, opens the door to the car for me and I get in. The second I fasten my seatbelt I get a text from Ally.

7:25 PM

Ally: Are you busy?

7:25 PM

Me: Why? How are you?

7:25 PM

Ally: I don't know. My dad's dead.

7:25 PM