Chapter 8

—Emily's POV—

"Wait he- He actually did that?" I ask, still in shock. She nods. It takes a few seconds before I can continue. "Wha- Just like that? Why did he defend me? I mean... Why?"

"I think that somebody has fallen for you..."

"No! Absolutely not."

"And I think that you have fallen for somebody..."

"Ally... No. Don't be ridiculous." I laugh.

"You can say that how many times you want. I still won't believe it."

"I- Ugh... Boys are weird." I say and lay down. "Yepp." She agrees.

"What about you? Anyone special?" I ask. She's sitting there, eating her carrot, looking around the room and saying nothing. "Oh my God! There is someone special!" I say sitting up.

"N-No there's not... "

"Okay, I know that I'm not the best liar in the world but I'm better than that!" I say laughing.

"Okay okay... His name is Nathan and he's from France."

"What, how did you meet a French guy?"

"Well, that's the thing... He lives in France, and I live here. We've only talked over the phone, so we've never met."

"Oh... Are you okay with that? You not meeting him?"

"I mean... Not really. I really want to see him but what can I do? He's over there and I'm here. Maybe in the future?" She says, shrugging her shoulders.

"Well, I wish you luck with that."

Ally and I talked a little more about guys and other problems we have right now. After that we watched a few episodes of a tv-show and then I went home for dinner.

"So... What did you cook?" I ask mom while taking a seat at the table next to Asher.

"Well, your father was supposed to cook but he 'forgot'." She says and stares at dad.

"I did forget! Do you think it's easy to remember both to cook dinner and to..."

"Yes?" Mom says. It's so obvious that he has no idea how to end that sentence.

"Take out the trash?"

"Nice try, I did that 20 minutes ago."

"Oh... Well thank you for this lovely dinner then." He says and kisses her. They're so cute. That's what I want. Is it too much to ask for? I feel like this generation has just given up on love.

"Can I ask you guys something?" I say looking at mom and dad.

"Yeah, of course."

"Your relationship... Was it hard? Did you have to work a lot on it or was it just like... Meant to be?" They just stare at each other, then at the food.

"It was... You know... We- We had some few bumps here and there." Mom answers.

"'Bumps'? Our relationship was a fucking rollercoaster."

"Henry!" Mom scolds him while Asher and I laugh, "Yes, it may have been... Hard, at times but it all worked out in the end. Why were you wondering?" Mom asks.

"Oh just... For the future. Good to know."

After dinner I did the dishes and went up to my room to lie in my bed, but I quickly remembered that prom is tomorrow. Tomorrow! And I haven't even talked to Jake today, I've got to get some things straight. I can't believe that it slipped my mind, with everything that's been going on at school, all the rumors, all the talking... I just forgot about prom, it seemed like such a distant thing.