Chapter 5

—Emily's POV—

"HE WHAT?!" Everyone in the café turns their gazes at us. Jesus... "Ally! Be quiet!" I yell at her, "It's not that big of a deal." I shrug my shoulders.

"Not that big- Are you stupid or something? He asked you to prom Em. Prom."

"Yeah, I know. But so what? I mean prom is prom. And we're just friends."

"That's funny."

"What? We are. We haven't gone on a date, he hasn't met my parents, I haven't met his, and we haven't even kissed. That sounds like a friendship to me." I say and take a sip of my water.

"But he did ask you to prom. And I don't know what that means but it has to mean something right?" She asks. I just sit here quietly, don't really know the answer to that. "You know I'm right." She continues.

"Well, so what? I can't exactly just ask him why he asked me to prom."

"Actually..." She looks behind me. "You can." Oh no... Please don't tell me it's who I think it is. Why me?

"Well well well... Look who we have here. Shortie and her friend-" He looks at Ally. "You."

"It's Ally and I'm actually leaving now so please, take my seat." What? Is she kidding me? No no, don't get up. Ally read my thoughts and stay. ALLY! STAY! "Well, this was fun. I'll see you later." She says and walks away.

"No no, I- Ehm- I'll be right back." I smile at Jake. "Ally!" I whisper. "Why?! Don't leave me!" I say to her once I catch up.

"You'll be fine. Just be direct and ask him. It'll work. Bye, you can thank me at your wedding." She whispers the last part while turning around. And now she's gone, karma's a real bitch Ally, I think while heading back to the table.

"Hi again." I awkwardly laugh.

"Shortie relax." He laughs.

"I- I am relaxed. You just... Caught me off guard. That's all."

"Right... Sure we'll say so." He winks. Oh, God... I place my hand over my stomach, mentally crushing the butterflies. I can't start feeling butterflies around him. I won't allow it.

"I actually have a question-"

"Funny you chose to come here again." He cuts me off.

"What?"

"This is where we came to study and Ronald McDonald over there wanted to marry you."

"Wha- He did not want to marry me. He just gave me his number, that doesn't mean that he wants to marry me."

"Yes, it does."

"Oh, okay. So when you took my phone number from someone your intentions were to marry me?" I laugh.

"What? No, I just- You know. Wanted to talk to you. It's not the same."

"Uh-hu, yeah sure."

"Anyway... You had a question?" He asks. Avoiding the subject, I see.

"Ehm, yeah... About prom."

"What about it?" Be direct Emily... Just like Ally told you.

"Why did you ask me to prom Jake?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you ask me to prom? No lies." He looks at me for a while before answering, "I want to try something."

"You want to try something? Try what?"

"Just something."

"I'd rather like to know. I don't exactly enjoy being a subject you can test things on."