Chapter 4

—Emily's POV—

Oh no... I hate this scene. How can someone possibly watch this without crying? Like for real? I don't understand. How? It's so sad after you've followed him throughout his journey, and it just ends like this? No... At least I can breathe now that the end credits are rolling. "Hey, honey I'm going to the gro- Oh... What happened?"

"The Great Gatsby." I say and point to my tv.

"Oh. Okay yeah, I understand." She laughs. "But what are you doing today?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"Great! Then you can come with me to the grocery store." She says and leaves the room. "We're leaving in 5 minutes!" I get out of bed and change clothes to a white t-shirt with jeans, grab my purse and my phone.

"I'm done! I'll wait by the car!" I scream when I'm at the door. Mom comes out two minutes later. "Can I drive?" I ask her.

"Oh no. No."

"But I-"

"No." She smiles back.

"Why not? I'm careful!" I say.

"If you want to learn how to drive then ask your dad." She says and gets into the car as I sigh. On the way there we both sing along to the radio and switch when a boring song comes on. The ride is pretty short too, only about nine minutes from home.

"Which do you want?" Mom asks.

"Apple, not orange. Asher bought that so much it makes me sick now." I laugh and put the juice in the cart.

"Okay juice done." Mom says and strikes that off the list. "Now we need-"

"Shortie?" I feel a tap on my shoulder. No. Don't tell me that he's here. Not now.

"Jake." I say, turning around and giving him a very awkward smile.

"What's up?" He asks.

"I'm grocery shopping." I say and point to the cart. "You?"

"Yeah, me too. My dad is getting some milk. He'll be here any second." He says, looking around.

"Who's this?" Oh God. I forgot mom was here for a second.

"This is Jake. He's a... friend from school."

"Oh right! You were the one who showed up at our house." She says and shakes hands with him.

"Yepp. That was me. Pleasure to meet you again, Mrs. Sterling." He says. I've never seen him this polite. I've also never seen him go this long without saying something dirty or cursing. I'm proud.

"Well, it was really nice meeting you again Jake but we've got some grocery shopping- You know what? If you want to take Emily out to hang again that's fine."

"Mom!" I quietly yell. Also, 'hang'? Is she trying to sound young or something?

"You know what. That would be fun." He says back. '

"Yeah... Nooo... I've got to do stuff at home so..."

"But you said that you didn't have anything to do?"

"Mom... Why don't you just go to the meat section? I'll meet you there." I smile. She agrees and then leaves.

"Funny woman, your mother."

"Yes. Very..." I say looking down.

"Hey! I couldn't find the one- Oh hi." A man- his dad presumably, walks up.

"Hi. I'm sorry but my mom really needs me, it was nice meeting you though!" I say and walk away. Well, that wasn't awkward at all. "You couldn't have been more embarrassing?" I ask when I catch up with her.