Chapter 18

In the span of the next few months, the member of Stray Kids and Danbi grew close.
Despite the physical distance with their ongoing Tour and busy schedule, everyone was always up to date with what was going on.
They crammed around one phone once in a while for a face time call.

The kids had days off, Danbi worked. Danbi had days off, the kids worked until late at night.
Meeting in person was difficult.

One member was always texting her, or sending small reminders and quotes, random pictures and voice notes.

He made her smile more than once throughout the day.
In a way, he helped her heal, live with the pain that came with her loss. And unknown the both of them, he pushed her out of her comfort zone.

„Bang Chan." Danbi held her phone to her ear, a bag filled with stuff from the convenience store in the other. „Where are you?"

A groan came from the speaker. „Still in the studio, Bi." The husky voice held tiredness, and sadness. „I'm sor-"

Danbi interrupted him. „Open the door, Chan."

She had spent the day with the four youngest of the group. They finally had a day off at the same time as her. The other three were out of town, visiting their families.

Only the leader was at the company like most days, working on their next album. The eight were concerned as they had finished their tour not so long ago and had their Japanese comeback.

The managers wanted them to rest for some time before the hectic would take over their lives again.

Everyone was concerned about the oldest at this point. Chan left the dorm before everyone else and came home when everyone was already sleeping. Some days he didn't come home at all, sleeping at the company or not at all.

It was noticeable, physical. He didn't eat much, dark circles under his eyes. Skin paler than ever.
Even the fans noticed it in the weekly episodes of Channie's Room.
Chan ignored most comments and reassured them that he was alright.

Felix had explained to Danbu that his sinus problem was getting worse, making it harder for him to breathe while sleeping.
She was worried for him, like everyone else.

The door opened a bit, revealing a glimpse of the leader. His phone is still next to his ear.
Danbi smiled at him and lifted the bag a bit.

"Can I come in?" Chan nodded, left speechless and opened the door some more.

It was late, almost midnight.

"What are you doing here, Bi?" Chan asked after closing the door, watching her slip off her sneaker.

"Looking after a friend." Danbi turned to him, the bag sitting on the couch. His eyes didn't meet hers. "I'm worried."

"There is no need to be. " Chan wanted to walk past her to sit down again to continue to work. Her hand around his wrist stopped him.

Eyes met. And tears began to roll down his cheeks. The body shaking.

Danbi wrapped her arms around his shoulders, holding him close. His face was hidden in the space between her neck and shoulder, arms around her waist and his hands holding on to the fabric of her shirt.

She let him cry, rubbing his back and running her fingers through his hair.

"I'm sorry." Chan regained his posture, sniffling a bit. Danbi smiled. "No need to be." She wiped away a stray tear from his cheek.

"Thank you." His voice sounded small.

"The members said something, didn't they?" The pair had sat in silence while eating. Seeing the female had bought his favourite brand of ramen, Chan's stomach rumbled loudly, making its owner blush.

"I was and am worried myself," Danbi looked at him. "But yes, they did."

Chan nodded, finishing his bowl. He stood up and threw both of their bowls away.
Ruffling his hair, his head hung low.

"You can rest, Chan." Danbi watched him. "You're ahead of what needs to be done for the next album. Changbin told me, that you're most likely working already on the one after that. You need to rest before something happens."

He sat next to her again, head in his hands, pulling his hair. The leader was at war with himself. There was nothing he could say against this.

"Please." She rubbed his shoulder.

He lost his battle, his shoulder slumped. He knew she was right. The members and manager were right.

"Okay." He looked at her, eyes tired.

"Fine." Danbi smiled, squeezing his upper arm.

"When was the time you slept in?"