2.

I awoke with a dull pain underlying the numbness in my right arm and was enveloped by the stench of rotting leaves. Even before I opened my eyes, I knew I wasn't home. The air was heavy and damp, pressing against my skin like a clammy shroud. Where was I?

I looked around, sighing in relief as I remembered. Last night, I had gotten on the roof for a smoke. Judging by the empty tequila shot bottle, I understood I drank too much and probably fell asleep because of the alcohol.

I've been drinking too much lately and smoking twice the amount I usually consumed. But I couldn't help it, I needed some kind of coping mechanism to relieve the stress I was in every second of every day.

The competition's nervousness had taken over my senses during the summer. It was a pretty big deal since it would offer the winner a scholarship. That price would also get you a spot at the International Youth Music Studio in Paris. And I had to get that if I wanted to leave this miserable life.

So, for the past five months, I had been practicing with my teacher and recording at the studio for my progress and the C.D. we had to give with our performance.

I climbed down to my bedroom window and jumped in. My room was pretty messy but I couldn't care less. I lit up a cigarette, slowly blowing out the smoke tiredly.

A light knock resounded from the door and my brother appeared. "Hey."

"What is it ?" I spat out.

"Look, times are hard and dad-"

"I'm not giving you a single cent, Arlo." I smashed the cig in the ashtray.

"Mars, it's really serious. I need at least forty." He brushed a hand through his black hair.

"Fuck off, Arlo. You're twenty-five, go find a fucking job. Now get out."

"Please, just listen. Please." He begged.

"Out, Arlo. I'm deadass." I hissed, clenching my fists. But he remained indifferent.

"I'll get a job as soon as I get my debts off, just forty-"

"I SAID GET THE FUCK OUT !" I screamed, grabbing the ashtray and throwing it his way.

He ran away and the ashtray exploded on the door. The pieces fell everywhere, along with the ash. I grabbed my face and groaned. Could never get an hour of peace in this house.

I brushed a hand through my hair and grabbed an outfit (☆), putting on my clothes in anger. I just wanted to get out of here.

Riding my bike to the music studio, I knew I still had time before my rendezvous with Kev as it was still eight in the morning. When I got there, I parked my bike and sat in my usual spot behind the building where a yard had a few broken benches and thick ciment poles that kids had fun covering in graffiti.

 When I got there, I parked my bike and sat in my usual spot behind the building where a yard had a few broken benches and thick ciment poles that kids had fun covering in graffiti

I sat down to smoke and relax. It had only been ten minutes before a masculine voice kept getting closer and closer. Gustav appeared with a long haired dude. The stranger had a side part and wore streetwear-like clothes.