Volume 3 : Day 6; False Teamwork Pt 2

Horikita Suzune POV

Amidst the rain which began to fall heavily, I forced my sluggish body to chase after Ibuki. The sky, covered with rain clouds, blocked the sun, and visibility was poor. Even though I couldn't see Ibuki, fortunately there were footprints on the muddy ground. I'm sure that if I follow them, they will lead me to her.

She walked around a 100 meters from the base camp, going sometimes left and sometimes right, along the way. Then, unexpectedly, her figure stood still, as if she stopped and waited for someone to come and meet her. Inadvertently, I went into hiding, even though this action had no meaning.

Ibuki : "What do you think you're doing?"

Without even turning to look back, I heard Ibuki's calm voice through the sound of the falling rain.

Ibuki : "I am aware that you have been following me. Why don't you come out already?"

Horikita : "Since when did you notice it?"

Ibuki : "Right from the start."

Her short answer, gave me an ominous feeling that I had not felt from her before. Her quiet and reticent impression didn't seem to change. But, something was different.

Ibuki : "So, what is the reason you've been following, me?"

Horikita : "I wonder if you do not know, unless I tell you directly."

Ibuki : "I don't know."

She's playing hard way, I see.

Horikita : "You clearly understand very well why you are being followed, right?"

Ibuki : "I really have no idea. Why? What's the reason?"

Turning back to face me, Ibuki was looking at me straight in the eyes. There was no dejection in her eyes. I almost had the urge to apologize to her. I had no definite proof either. I was just acting based on my own intuition.

Horikita : "Don't you think that there is no use in lying, anymore?"

I felt my own hesitation for a moment, but I pressed on for an answer.

Ibuki : "At least I want to hear from your own mouth, the reason why have you been following me."

Horikita : "From the case of a piece of underwear being stolen, to the tumult of the fire. Class D has had a series of misfortunes."

Ibuki : "So what?"

Horikita : "Do you realize that some people suspected you?"

Ibuki : "Of course. Since I am an outsider. It cannot be helped being suspected."

Horikita : "In other words, that's what I mean."

Ibuki : "That I am the culprit. So where are the evidence?"

Horikita : "Unfortunately, there is no evidence at all about the underwear theft. Even so, I think it was you."

Ibuki : "This is quite a terrible story. You suspect me, even though there is no proof."

Well, she was so good at it. I could only praise her.

She didn't make her move until the 5th day and she did not try to approach anyone from class D, at all. This stance, conversely allowed her to spend time with us without being suspected.

Horikita : "The reason I suspect you is because of today's actions. You do not need a further explanation, do you?"

Somehow, I wanted to take a testimony out of Ibuki. Trying to make me explain all the reasons why I suspect her. It's like to admit that I am the leader. Even if I am 99 percent certain that she is guilty, if there's a possibility of one percent that she is innocent, then, I should avoid pursuing things straight.