Volume 2 : The Playmaker

Ayanokoji Kiyone POV

On the next day.

The summer sun hanging in the sky was dazzlingly hot. 

Kiyone : "I hate summer...."

As I took each step along the tree-lined path to school, my body screamed in agony. Sweat poured down my face. 

A bunch cheerful students ran alongside and overtook me. They certainly looked lively. I wonder how could they enjoy this?

Just beyond the trees, light filtering down through their leaves, a lone female student was sitting against the handrail. She looked over at me. Well, just ignore her

However.......

Suzune : "Good morning, Ayanokouji-san."

Kiyone : "Were you waiting for someone, Horikita-san?"

Suzune : "Yes. I was waiting for you."

Kiyone : "If you wanted to settle our dispute yesterday. It can't be helped then"

I said that as I put a fighting stance instantly after I said that.

However she only look at me with poker face. She touch my forehead with her hand

Suzune : "I though you got a fever but I was wrong. Did you still feel asleep or something?"

She spat. Then she get off her hand from me

Suzune : "I was thinking...maybe I made a mistake. The wrong choice..."

Kiyone : "Would you be happy if we'd compromised?"

Suzune : "If Sudou-kun is penalized for this, it'll be my responsibility."

Kiyone : "So you do worry about things like this, huh?"

Suzune : "The truth is that we're gambling. I'm a little anxious of the outcome. Are you okay?"

Kiyone : "I had several plan in case this plan failed. Beside we got support from class B too. I'm sure we'll manage."

Suzune : "Hey—"

Kiyone : "Hmm?"

Suzune : "Nothing. I hope there is no problem followed us after we settle this case"

She replied, as if she'd been about to say something. She shut her mouth.

================================================================================

Then we arrived at classroom together

I noticed a change as soon as I set foot inside the classroom. Sakura-san who usually made it to school just in the nick of time, was already sitting at her desk. Had she come here early for any specific reason?

It seems younger Horikita also looked shocked to see Sakura-san. Moreover, Sakura-san's body language itself... Well, she looked the same as usual, but I felt like she was sitting up straight, as if ready for something. It was such a subtle difference that you couldn't really call it a change. It was so miniscule that if you told me I was imagining it, I would say you were right and drop it.

Just as we were about to pass Sakura-san's seat, she looked up. Instead of a proper greeting, she meekly raised her hand. For someone like Sakura-san, that seemed an appropriate response.

That's what I thought, until—

Sakura : "Um... Good morning, Ayanokouji-san. Horikita-san."

Kiyone : "G-Good morning..."

Suzune : "Good morning Sakura-san"

That was the first time Sakura had given a morning greeting. I was so shocked that my response stuck in my throat. Our eyes didn't meet, but she still desperately tried to squeeze out the words.