Part 43: There's a Man in the Woods

I clung to Wally. The air surrounding Barnaby's house was thick and cold. I was nervous. What had I gotten myself into? I had put myself into this situation, of course, but I was still afraid.

"I'll walk you back if you're afraid, my dear," Wally whispered gently as we continued walking. A cold chill struck me, but now was not the time to turn back. I was so curious. I knew that there was no way Barnaby was an actual puppet like us.

"It's alright, Wally. I agreed to help you," I sighed softly. Wally looked down at the ground as we walked.

(Wally knew you were uncertain. Je didn't know what to do, though. He was used to the rather... odd sight that Barnaby displayed occasionally.

All Wally could do was place a hand on your arm, the one wrapped around him in fear. He hoped that you knew he'd whisk you away if the situation worsened.)

We made it to Barnaby's house. The door was slightly open. Wally pushed it open.

"Barnaby? Oh, Barnaby?!" Wally called out into the empty house. He stepped inside. I swallowed.

"Barnaby said he'd be here," I muttered. Wally looked over his shoulder and smiled softly.

"I believe you. Don't worry. Barnabh tends to be unreliable when he's troubled," Wally walked deeper into the house. He stepped inside the kitchen before walking back over to me. The thick fog from outside had settled into the house now.
"The back door in the kitchen is open."

"The back door?" I repeated. I didn't know Barnaby had a back door. If I had remembered the layout of the neighborhood correctly, Barnaby's back door led to the forest. It was obvious he had wandered out there.

"I'm going to check the forest," Wally exhaled slowly. He seemed too tired to deal with this today. I felt bad.

"I'll go with you!" I commented. It was a stupid decision on my part, but I was not going to let Wally wander into the forest all alone.

We walked into the forest. It was a horrible idea, and we both knew it. Still, Wally's concern for his friend was far greater than his fear of trespassing.

Wally stopped walking. He didn't face me as he spoke. "Please, dearest. Go into the house. I'll return soon," his voice was somber and tired.

I did as I was told, but I lingered on the back patio, watching Wally through the fog. I was unable to see him soon enough.

Was it wise to stay behind? I wasn't sure. I leaned against the exterior wall of the house so I knew nothing was behind me.

I was feeling rather drowsy when I saw a humanoid shadow slink through the fog, following Wally's path. There was a man in the woods.

I instantly jolted. My body felt rigid and excited. It was not a good excitement, though. It was terrifying, but I wanted to check on Wally. I knew he could take care of himself well enough, but I was still concerned.

Heart beating, I crept into the fog. I stayed close to the ground, straining to see any hint of Wally. I could her him sighing off in the distance.

I was worried. What if I got lost? I hadn't thought this through. I hoped for the best. It was all I could do.

I paused at some point. I was so very tired. I looked around. There was a butterfly with two enormous eye spots on its wings. It seemed to be resting on a thin twig, which was odd considering butterflies rested with their wings closed, helf vertically over their backs. Frank had taught me that.

I was made aware that it was not a pattern when the eye spots blinked. Fainting would have been freeing, but I was not one to faint easily, unfortunately.

Welcome Home!On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara