Part 7: Eddie's Conundrum

We were right. The next few hours were filled with all sorts of bustling activity.

Eddie handed us a gigantic box overfilling with various envelopes. He laughed shyly.

"Sorry for the late mail. I've just been so busy I've lost track of time!" Eddie explained, smoothing his hair before carefully placing his hat back on. I waved my hand, trying to show Eddie that it was no bother. He was obviously worried that we were not interested in helping. I hoped that my gesture eased his anxiety.

Hours later, Sally and I finally finished sorting the envelopes. We both moved on to making decorations for the upcoming festival.

"So, Sally... Where were you during your sick leave? I didn't see you in your house," Eddie asked shyly. It was normal for him to worry. He always gave us our mail personally.

She paused, her eyes widening for just a moment. "Oh! I... went somewhere else to recover!" she stumbled over the words. I grew worried. Where had she gone, exactly? Why was she so nervous?

"Oh. Where? Maybe I should start delivering mail there when friends are sick," Eddie commented bluntly. Sally's fingers twitched for just a second.

"Oh, you know... it's just.. below the hill! That's right. It's just past the forest."

Eddie and I turned to each other. You weren't supposed to go into the forest. I decided not to press the subject any further. However, as I stared at her, I noticed some extra stitched along the side of her face. I said nothing of it. She probably fixed it herself.

I turned my attention back to the paper butterflies I was creating. They were quite pretty, but I had only managed to make five. 11, counting Sally and Eddie's. We weren't creating them fast enough.

Suddenly, just as if someone had read my mind, the door swung open. Julie, Wally, and Barnaby walked into the room, smiling eagerly.

"Didn't think we'd forget yer yearly festival, did ya?" Barnaby chuckled, sitting down and grabbing some supplies.

"Hehe, yeah! We all have it marked on our calendars, silly!" Julie remarked, poking Eddie's nose carefully. She smiled and plopped herself down, instantly flipping through her sticker book for the perfect stickers.

Wally just smiled silently. I stole a glance at him. He sure loved to be where everyone else was. But then again, that made sense. He was a very likable neighbor. Of course everyone wanted him around.

I turned my attention back to the decorations. We spent a few more hours on them. By the time we had finished, there was a large pile in the center of the circle we had formed. Eddie clapped his hands together, standing up happily.

"Thank you, everyone! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make enough decorations! My problem has been solved!" Eddie stood on the tips of his shoes, spinning around excitedly. Everyone clapped softly. We celebrated this small occasion.

Finally, Eddie stopped spinning. "Let's relax!" He smiled.

Wally looked over at me again. "Nice get-together, right?" He offered me another dopey smile. I returned it.

"It's so lovely! I greatly enjoy these. However, I do have something worrying me," I confessed. Wally turned to look at me fully. I saw a slight hint of worry cross his face.

"Sally... does she seem... odd to you? She's been energetic, but she's slightly... secretive?" I asked. Wally looked down. He leaned in closer. I gulped. Had I said something wrong.

"Don't worry about her, neighbor... she'll be fine," he said in his usual soft tone. He fixed his hair a bit, then winked at me. "We'll discuss later."

I watched him slowly as he left my side and began dancing with Julie. Julie loved to dance. I did not.

An hour passed before we all began to leave. It was almost curfew. I waved goodbye to everyone, making my way out of Eddie's house-post-office.

As I walked, I became aware of footsteps behind me. I anxiously stopped and turned. My anxiety disappeared when I saw Wally. He looked at me.

"Did I scare you, neighbor? Apologies. I just thought we'd walk and talk," he smiled. "Is that alright?"

I nodded. He took his place by my side. I grew a bit nervous. I almost never talked to him alone.

"Remember, eyes on me." Wally winked. "I just like to feel.. heard. Or maybe wanted. I just don't like to be ignored," he shrugged. I laughed nervously. He opened his eyes to see if I was focusing on him. He continued walking, satisfied that I was paying attention to him.

"Sally has been a bit hysteric lately. She did something that caused a rip along a seam. I helped her with it."

I smiled. I was glad he helped her, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something else about her had changed. I stopped at my front door.

"Thank you, Wally! Perhaps we can have tea sometime."

Wally smiled and blew me a kiss. He did it to everyone. It was how he greeted, thanked, and said goodbye to everyone. I just waved, shutting the door behind me. Today had been another wonderful day. I smiled to myself. Nothing bad was going to happen, now.

I prepared for bed. Then, I fell asleep, content with everything.