Part 35: The Play

I woke up an hour later. I felt well-rested. I looked over at Howdy. He was awake, as well.

"Sleep well, flower?" Howdy yawned. He quickly jolted upright. "Sorry! I didn't mean to call you that."

"That's okay. My name is not flower, but you may call me it if you would like."

(Howdy covered his mouth with a hand and tried to look like he was just thinking. In reality, he was trying to cover his wobbly smile and reddening cheeks.

Even though you didn't understand why he had called you that, you still allowed him to do so. Howdy was afraid his heart was going to melt.)

"Ready for the play?" I said as I stretched. Howdy nodded and walled over to my box. He scooped me up and began walking over to Sally's play.

(Howdy finally had you in his arms again. This time, he carried you like a bride. You didn't suspect anything, and that relieved Howdy. He just wanted to make sure you were happy.)

We arrived at the spot where the play was being held. Sally stood on a wooden stage surrounded by velvet, red curtains that cascaded from the rods holding them.

I sat by Howdy. The grass was wet because of the rain from earlier. I looked over at Howdy in hopes he would help me.

Howdy watched the play, completely unaware of what was going on around him. I yawned and returned to watching Sally.

"I'll make sure you never forget me!" Sally twirled around on the stage as she quickly swapped hats to change characters. I gasped. What a thrilling play!

I looked down as something hit my legs. It was Wally Darling! He was resting his head in my lap.

(Wally had struggled to stay awake during Sally's play. He had not slept because he had no bed.

He had fallen asleep during some point in the middle. He did not mean to fall into your lap, but he was content.)

"I'm sleeping.... I'm sleeping..." Wally whispered. I tried to suppress a chuckle. What a funny thing to declare out loud! It was simply darling.

Before I knew it, Howdy was leaning against me as well. He was tall, so he rested his head on mine. I made sure to be as still as possible to not wake either of them up.

I felt someone lean against my back. It was Julie. Why was everyone sleeping on me?

(Julie had decided to lean against you just because.)

A few hours later, the play ended. It was about someone trying to make their lover with memory loss fall in love again. I did not understand the premise fully, but it didn't matter. Sally was an excellent actress.

Barnaby stood up and looked down at me. Eddie and Frank had gone home. They usually kept to themselves.

"Heya, kiddo. I see you've got ev'ryone nappin' on ya! Stay strong, 'kay? Also, jus' gon' say it now. Make sure ya tell Howdy ya love 'im, and make sure ya treat Wally well, 'kay? Make sure ya blow him kisses to greet, say goodbye, and thank him, too, hm? It's very polite... Also, try an' make sure miss Julie's doing fine."

(Barnaby knew the last part wasn't particularly true, but he had to try and help out his buddies. It was the least he could do.

Barnaby turned and left. As he walked to his house, he readjusted his paw glove, for it had been falling off a lot. He made sure his head was still on.)

I woke up just an hour before curfew. Julie had left, but the other two were still asleep. I felt bad for them. They must have been so busy these past few days. As I meditated on my day, Howdy began to mumble something in his sleep.

"I'm so sorry, flower. I didn't mean for you to die," he muttered, his words slurred and quiet. He must have had a horrible nightmare.

Wally said something, as well.

"Are you going to leave me, too? That's okay. Thanks for sticking by me for so long," Wally mumbled. Immediately after saying that, he woke up. He looked up at me, not realizing he was in my lap.

"Well, I'll have to leave eventually, right? I can't stay on this lawn forever," I patted his head. Wally didn't seem to understand why I had said that. He jolted upright as soon as he realized he had fallen over onto my lap.

"Sorry, dear!" Wally apologized. I laughed softly and waved my hand flippantly.

"It's no worry. You looked very peaceful. It was simply darling!" I clasped my hands together. Wally looked away again. It was so odd how people looked away from me whenever I said or did something, but I didn't mind.

(Wally looked away so he could collect himself. He had not expected such a cute reaction, but he had to accept it and move on. Now was not the time to be fangirling.)

Wally reached over and booped my nose. "Thank you, my dear."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry for the shorter chapter! Sometimes, I forget my ideas for a chapter. Because of that, I write down everything and then publish it before I accidentally ruin something. ^^