Part 49: Help

Eddie yawned and flopped into his armchair.

"I'm sorry.. this is usually the time Frank and I nap in our chairs. We can skip out on it this time if you two would like to do some more things! We just tend to get a little sleepy," Eddie yawned. He gave us a sleepy grin as Frank sat in the armchair next to Eddie's.

"Oh, it's fine! We'll let you two rest. We can do some more things later!" I reassured them. There was no need to change their usual schedule too much. I looked over at Wally as we left the house to sit on the front step.

"So, what's bothering you?" I asked quietly. I looked up at the sky. It seemed to stretch on and on for miles.

"A lot," Wally sighed. He propped his head up on his hands, his elbows on his knees.

"Would you like to give me some details? It's fine if not, I get it."

"..I'll probably have to leave soon," Wally answered softly. He seemed so sad. I was, too. Was I able to help him at all?

"What do you mean..?"

"I'll have to go away for a bit to run some errands, but there's a good chance I won't come back. Ever."

I stayed silent. Why was he being so vague? It was obvious that whatever he was planning was risky.

"Can't I come with you?"

Wally chuckled sadly. "You could, but you'd be injured.. It's better if I go. You can still help if you really want to, though..."

"How?"

(Wally was surprised by your eagerness. He had just warned you, but you still wanted to help.)

"You know how Howdy has shipments and deliveries? I'm going to sneak into the delivery truck and leave the neighborhood. Afterward, I'll come back and rescue everyone else. I'm not sure it'll work, but it's worth a shot. I won't be doing this for a while, though."

"Ah, okay.. Are we going to discuss this later? I'm still worried," I sighed. I looked away for a moment to think a bit.

(Wally placed his hands on your cheeks and turned your face to look at him. He needed to make one thing very clear.)

"Yes. I'm willing to discuss anything you want to later, alright? I'm just a little out of it at the moment, but I promise I won't be as vague when I answer later. I just need you to trust me for a bit on this one. I'm working on a plan, and I'll make sure to let you in on it. Do you understand?"

I blinked. I had not expected such a speech-type thing to be said by Wally out of all puppets.

"I understand. Thank you," I smiled. It was nice of him to reassure me. Still, his plan sounded ludicrous.
"What should we do until Eddie and Frank wake up? I estimate we have an hour or so."

"Oh, I haven't thought about that!"

"Have you made things up with Howdy? It's sad to see two of my neighbors being snarky with each other."

Wally grumbled. "Do I have to? We both know I'm going to keep stealing apples."

"Yes. Even though you're still going to steal apples, you need to make sure Howdy isn't in a constant state of annoyance, anger, or sadness. Sure, it's up to him to feel better, but I'm sure having you apologize would make things better."

"Fine. I'll do that later."

(Wally went back to looking down at the concrete step he was sitting on as he thought.

No matter what anyone within the neighbor did, the empty feeling would remain. Most never noticed, but for those who did, The Neighborhood was an unsettling place to be imprisoned.