Part 21: Fests and Friends

The festival was such a lovely experience. Julie had her boombox on full blast, causing music to ring out through the neighborhood. Frank was anxiously opening up the containers his newly emerged butterflies were in.

I walked over to Howdy's bodega and held one of his hands.

"Come along, friend! This festival looks so fun!" I cheered. Howdy chuckled.

"It sure does! Quite lovely, hm?" He looked around as he said that. It was clear he was excited. Suddenly, I felt him tug me toward something.

"What is it, Howdy?" I asked as he led me over to a spot. I looked up.

Standing in front of us was a gigantic mesh cage full of tree boughs, flowers, water bowls, and all sorts of other natural things.

"Frank? Whatcha planning with this?" Howdy placed a hand on Frank's shoulder as he let go of my hand. I looked over at Frank, who was fixing the cuffs of his shirt.

"It's a new home for you. Caterpillars like to be in their natural habitats, after all. I had Eddie and Barnaby bring me a large oak bough so you could use it as a support to hang your chrysalis from," Frank stated plainly in his flat, monotone voice. Howdy and I stared at the neighbor in silent shock.

"...What?" Howdy mumbled, squinting at Frank.

"Oh! Should I repeat myself?" Frank asked seriously. I clamped a hand over my mouth so I didn't say anything to escalate the situation.

"Frank..." Howdy grumbled. He still sounded happy, it was just that he had a slightly darker undertone in his voice. He pinched his nose bridge for a moment, one side of his hands placed on his hips.

"Oh, it's quite unexpected, isn't it? I made sure it was suited to all of your needs," Frank said, his eyes closed. I didn't say anything as Eddie snuck up behind him and picked him up.

"Hello, neighbors!" Eddie squeezed Frank. Frank scoffed, although it was obvious he was trying to cover up a surprised laugh.

"I'm educating Howdy right now, Eddie."

"That so?" Eddie looked over at Howdy, motioning for him to flee.

Howdy picked me up, placing me on his shoulder as he wandered about. We stopped near Home. A homephone was lying on the grass. It was ringing.

"Oh! That belongs to Wally! It appears that Julie is calling him. Let's go give this to Wally," I said. Howdy nodded as we made our way over to Wally, who was dunking his head in a bucket full of cold water and apples.

"Wally? Hey, shrimp, it's Julie." Howdy placed the phone carefully in Wally's hands. Wally raised his head sleepily. It appeared he had fallen asleep while apple bobbing.

"This is not Julie, neighbor. This is my homephone," Wally said, confused. I giggled. "Although, I suppose she kind of resembles one? She's very colorful, like one, at least."

"No, Wally! Julie is calling you," I remarked. What a silly friend! He blinked one eye at a time, just like a frog.

"Carry?" He looked up at Howdy. Howdy sighed dramatically and plopped Wally onto his other shoulder.

"Let's skidaddle, you two," Howdy laughed. He led us over to Julie, who was very distraught.

"Friends! Specifically, Wally! I've run out of hairspray and hairgel! Can you help me?" Julie cried. She pointed to her hair. One half of her hair resembled a butterfly. The other was a tangled mess. What a predicament!

"Oh! Julie! Do not fret, neighbor. We will deliver you your supplies," Wally declared. He tugged on Howdy's hair gently. "Please walk that way." He pointed over to Home.