Part 22: Time

I woke up from my nap first. Everyone around me was asleep. Barnaby still had his paw slapped over Wally's face. Eddie was still holding Frank's hand. Julie was still face-down in the grass. Sally was sprawled out. Howdy was nowhere to be seen.

I looked around. Where had that caterpillar gone? I got up carefully, inching away from the nap spot.

I sighed, relieved, when I saw him looking at the giant mesh cage intently.

"What are you up to, Howdy?" I looked up at him. He was still focused on the enclosure.

"You don't think Frank is going to leave me in there, do you?" Howdy gingerly placed a hand on a side of the enclosure.

"Of course not, Howdy! If he does, I'll come rescue you!" I gave him a happy smile in an attempt to calm him down a bit. Howdy swallowed, still nervous. He seemed a little better, however.

"Thank you very much, my friend! Remind me to order extra treats for you. You like sweets, don't you?"

I nodded. "Thank you, Howdy!"

"Now, should we head back and wake up the others?" Howdy asked. I nodded and waited for him to pick me up again. He did so, plopping me back onto his shoulder.

"Friends! It is time to awake!" I called. Everyone stirred, although it was clear no one really wanted to get up. Daylight was leaving, so we needed to hurry if we wanted to get on with the rest of the activities.

Wally was up instantly. He rubbed his eyes. "Is it time already? Thank you for waking me up, neighbor," he smiled at me. I returned his smile.

"Of course! It's rude to allow your neighbors to be late to a fun event, after all!" I replied, still sitting on Howdy's shoulder.

"Lil' bud, ya gotta be quieter when ya talk, 'kay? If ya continue chatterin' like that, you'll pop my eardrums," Barnaby grumbled playfully. "Also, ya gotta quit lookin' at me so intensely with them peepers ya got! Actually, ya gotta stop staring at friends so much, 'nderstood?"

"Oh, okay, Barnaby! I will not look at you so much with my peepers since it bothers you so much." Wally turned around, looking over at me thoughtfully with a finger on his chin. "You don't mind me looking at you, do you?"

I waved my hands slowly. "Oh! Not at all!"

Wally chuckled. "Good." I stopped myself from raising a brow. What was he up to this time?

"Okay, then. Barnaby, please carry Julie and Sally!" I said. He nodded. With one might, but very soft swing hr had both of them slung across his shoulders like towels; they were both completely limp, snoring softly.

"Where to, neighb'r?" Barnaby looked over at me, not down. He could see me at his eye-level thanks to me sitting on Howdy's shoulder.

"Oh! What do you usually do during this part of the festival?" I questioned. I truly did not know, for there was no itinerary to guide me.

"Don't worry. I've gotcha covered," Howdy whispered to me. I gave him a friendly pat on the head to show my gratitude.

"Thanks, Howdy," I laughed softly. He was so reliable.

"Alrighty, friends. Let's get going over to there," Howdy pointed at a part in the forest. He slightly turned his head to look at me. "Don't worry. This is the one time we're allowed to go into the forest. Neat, huh?"

I admit that it would have been undeniably awesome to go into the forest, except for the fact we'd be right next to the area with Sally's "grave". I turned to find Wally staring at me once again.

"Oh, Wally. Would you be a dear and go wake up Eddie and Frank? Or even just Eddie would be fine. Eddie will probably carry Frank," I looked down at Wally. He was so small compared to everyone else, but then again, I was one to talk. I was 3 of Barnaby's sandwiches tall.