Part 20: Butterfly Fest (+Bonus Info!)

Despite his earlier uncertainties, Frank decided to hold the Butterfly Fest a few days early. It was a big, exciting day! I walked with him to visit Howdy's bodega for supplies.

"Yes. Also, this species is often mistaken for moths, but they're not. You can tell by the..." he went on and on. I tried to do the neighborly thing and listen, but I was busy trying not to freak out. The cameras were on again, unfortunately.

"Oh, Frank! Here we are!" I hummed, opening the door for him. He walked into the shop with me following him in. Instantly, I strayed from Frank's side over to an aisle.

I picked up a product labeled Canned Laughter. I looked interested, but I wasn't. I turned around, hearing Frank's voice.

"When will you be turning into a butterfly? You've been stuck at that stage for a while now," Frank pointed at Howdy bluntly. He didn't mean harm by what he said.

Howdy let out a low chuckle. "Well, friend, 'tis a mystery. Perhaps I'm just not ready yet for that stage in life."

Frank shook his head. "That's no good."

Just then, Eddie walked in. He waved at Frank, a piece of yarn tied to his finger. He looked down at it, trying to remember what the yarn was going to remind of. Suddenly, he perked up.

"Oh! Howdy! Do you have any more school glue? I've run out... I need my hair to look gorgeous for the festival!" He pointed at his messy hair. "Look at how silly this mess is!"

Frank cleared his throat and waved at Eddie. A smile crept onto Eddie's face.

"Look at you! You look gorgeous. And beautiful. And like Frank. You mainly look like Frank," Eddie complimented his tube-shaped neighbor. It was true. Frank looked very nice. He was sporting a white vest with a deep purple, long-sleeved shirt underneath. The shirt was covered in black butterfly print.

"Here ya go, my friend! I got the clear kind, just for you!" Howdy said with a wink as he handed Eddie a crate of glue. I was slightly disturbed by my neighbors' odd hair habits, but I said nothing of it.

"Eddie, are you ready for the festival?" I asked. He smiled at me, placing a hand on the back of his neck nervously.

"I think so! I really want everything to go well! Frank's been so worried these past few days! I've got to make sure everything is wonderful." He chuckled and set down the crate, placing his hands on his hips. "What about you?"

"Oh! I'm delighted that Frank decided not to cancel it!" I twirled happily. I was excited to experience this festival. Eddie nodded.

"Welp, see ya around, neighbors!" Eddie waved goodbye, picking up his crate of glue. Frank waved back excitedly. I turned towards him. Frank frowned at me. I smiled smugly at him. It was fun teasing him.

"Alrighty, neighbors. Here's all your supplies." Howdy handed us both crates of supplies. For just a moment, he looked out the window longingly.

"Here, Frank. Would you be a dear and carry all of these crates outside? I'll bring you a new type of caterpillar if you do. I'll even make sure it turns into an orange butterfly." I stacked the crates on top of his. Frank mumbled a yes, now unable to see where he was going.

"Howdy!" I leaned against the counter, looking up at me. "Would you care to go to the festival with me?"

Howdy looked down at me, placing one set of his hands on his face. "You... you want to go with me?!"

I tilted my head as I rested it on my hand. "Of course, my dear friend!"

Howdy offered me a shy, wobbly smile. "Why, I'd be just hava to go with you, then!"