Part 18: Howdy, there!

Howdy, Wally, and I continued our brisk walk around the neighborhood, inviting neighbors. Sally wasn't home, Eddie was trying to convince Frank to continue the Butterfly Fest, Julie was still too depressed, and Home couldn't leave its area because it was a house, and houses don't have feet.

We circled back to my house. I led them to my living room so we could figure out what activity to do.

"Golly! 'S been a while since I've been in a neighbor's house! I almost never leave my shop," Howdy smiled at me. He lifted his cap off his head.

"Yes! I'm absolutely thrilled to be hosting an event with you!" I exclaimed. I folded my hands on my lap. It had been a while since I was truly excited.

"What should we do, neighbors?" Wally asked. He glanced at me, then at Howdy.

"I was thinking about watching some movies! I like to do that while restocking my shop," Howdy smiled at us. I liked him. He was reliable, honest, and patient. He was a good neighbor.

"I'm good with that!" I said. Howdy nodded happily and turned over toward Wally.

"And you?"

"Sounds delightful," Wally nodded. Howdy and I high-fived. I tried to high five as many of his hands as I could, but I was only one puppet.

"Alright. You two get settled. I'll go fetch us snacks and blankets!" I waved as I entered a different room in my house to fetch items. I gathered blankets, pillows, and snacks in my arms.

"Oh! Neighbor! If you had told me you'd be bringing in so many items, I'd have helped!" Howdy reached out and lifted some of the load. He helped distribute the items.

"Oh, it's no bother, really! Guests have no place worrying about the host! You're here to relax and enjoy! Leave all the logistics and whatnot to me," I smiled. I glanced behind me for just a second. The cameras had been on as soon as we entered my house.

Howdy grumbled teasingly. Wally sat quietly on the couch, swinging his legs as he laid on his back. That exact pose reminded me of the rainy day we had spent together reading.

"Okay! Let's do this!" I cheered. I leaned against the front side of the couch, Howdy sitting beside me. He was sitting in front of Wally's feet so Wally could still see. I wrapped my blanket around me.

An hour in, we were all invested in the movie. Wally patted my head. I turned.

"Oh, yes?" I asked sweetly. I still had to play my part. It wasn't really a part, however. I just enjoyed being polite. At least, I did at some point.

"Nothing~!" Wally laughed. I bopped his hair carefully with my fist, laughing as I did so. I then turned to Howdy and poked him.

Howdy looked down at me and laughed. He didn't mind. It was hard to upset Howdy. He was a hardy caterpillar with a strong heart.

"This sure is fun. Maybe I should leave my shop more often," the caterpillar sighed. I nodded and gave him a pat on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, dear. I'll make sure you're invited to everything," I promised with a grin. Howdy's cheeks flushed red. He was very happy.

"Oh, you don't have to do such a thing! I'm surprised you both are enjoying spending time with me, honestly!"

Wally and I looked at each other. Of course we'd enjoy spending time with Howdy. What made him think otherwise?

Another hour passed before the movie was finished. It wasn't dark yet, so we all went back to planning an activity.

"How about you two try to change my hairstyle? It'll be quite the challenge, I think," Wally smirked. He thought we were incapable of such a task. Howdy looked over at me with a determined smile.

We instantly got to work. Howdy and I both agreed we wanted his hair down again. He looked so funny with it down, after all.

I passed a wide-toothed comb through his hair to try and flatten it. By the time I had gotten to the end of his hair, the comb was covered in a shockingly thick layer of hair gel. His hair was down, technically, but it was still full of product.

Howdy carried Wally over to the bathroom and plopped him in the tub. He then began rinsing out Wally's hair.

"Only my hair, please! I don't want my clothes to be wet!" Wally exclaimed. Howdy and I giggled, not responding to him.

After six hours, we managed to clean his hair completely. Howdy and I sat on the living room couch, waiting for the final reveal. Wally walked in, his long hair down, silky, and very soft.

"Wowee! Ya sure look handsome, bud!" Howdy clasped all of his hands together in delight. I passed Wally a handheld mirror. He gasped.

"Oh, look at me!" he said in his sleepy, monotone voice. He held a hand up to his face, staring at himself happily.

"You are the most--" I was about to say handsome puppet ever to reaffirm what Howdy had said, but I was interrupted by a dull thud. I blinked, looking around for what had fallen.

Howdy pointed at Wally with one hand. He had collapsed and was now sprawled out on the floor.

"Guuhhhhhhhhhh," he groaned.

"Oh, not this again! Be brave, neighbor!" Howdy instantly kept off the couch and began walking to my kitchen.

"What's going on..?!?" I asked.

"He's going through apple withdrawals. Also, withdrawals of another kind," Howdy mouthed the last part. We were still on camera, after all.

Moments later, Howdy returned with two apple. As soon as Wally saw them, they were gone.

"How relieving. You're all better, Wally?" I questioned.

"All better," he answered blithely. Despite all of his odd behavior, he could be so cute sometimes.

Then again, every neighbor I knew was capable of being cute. Except for Frank. He did not want to be called cute. That compliment was reserved for Eddie only, according to Frank.

It was dark now. I decided to let them stay the night because it was rude and dangerous to let them wander I'm the dark. Also, it was Howdy's first time sleeping over somewhere.

"Awe, this is going to be the best night! I'm excited to snooze!" Howdy blurted, fluffing his pillow. We had all decided to sleep in the living room.

"You bet, friend!" Wally replied sleepily. I just made a sound that sounded like "mhm". I was too tired to say anything more.

The next morning, the cameras were off again. Howdy, Wally, and I left my house after having breakfast to see what all the noise was about.

To our surprise, every other neighbor besides us was at Poppy's barn. They were mumbling amongst themselves, staring into the barn with wide eyes.

~~~~~~~~~IMPORTANT ~~~~~~~~~~~
*Hello! I apologize for not writing longer chapters. Hopefully the two chapters a day makes up for it.

I will be traveling again in a few days. I will try my best to post one chapter a day during that time. If I miss a day, please forgive me! This trip is important, so it's my main priority.

Also, thank you for reading! This has been such an exciting experience.

<3