Part 3: Barnaby

Barnaby's house was incredibly cozy and chill. I liked him a lot, too. He always had a pipe in his mouth and a joke to tell. Most of all, he was tall and huge. That was oddly comforting.

  I sat down on his couch, politely resting my hands on my plush lap. His living room was bright and had rather "loud" decorations. I cleared my throat and smiled at my host.

"Comf'table, miss? Did my best ta tidy up," he declared proudly. Despite his pronunciation errors, he was an incredibly knowledgeable neighbor. I did not say anything about his failure to say, "to."

"Yes, very. Thank you so much for inviting me over! Let us prepare for the party," I cheered. I was not fond of the way I spoke because I sounded much too proper and uppity, but it was a part of my role. I taught manners. No more, no less. I was not the most.

Barnaby nodded slowly, taking careful steps over to a large box. He opened it, chuckling heartily as he placed an oversized party hat on his head and mine. I laughed and wrapped him in bright blue ribbon.

"Barnaby, have you got the cake?"

The large dog puppet paused and blinked at me sleepily. He offered me a dopey smile.

"Aw, Miss Julie's got that all covered. Wally's gonna be ab-so-lute-ly delighted," he waved his paw hand slowly. I admired his calmness.

Julie skipped into the house while balancing a large cake on her table-shaped hair. I watched in amusement, happily swaying over to her.

"Oh, Julie, dear, let me get that for you!" I took the cake as she tilted her head down. She giggled and stuck a large sticker featuring a realistic birch tree to my cheek. I sneakily pulled off a sticker from her sticker sheet and stuck a star onto her nose. This made her fall down and begin rolling while laughing. It was very endearing.

"Oh, oh, oh! Let's get this room looking festive and fun!" Juloe screamed as she ran about the room, slapping stickers and throwing confetti around. I quietly made my way to the polka dot walls, gently taping streamers from one side of the room to another. I decided to stick with the color theme of the house - some reds, some blues, and a few shades of yellow. Very fun.

Afterward, I grabbed paper apple silhouettes and scattered them on the ground like confetti. I stuck some to the streamers, as well. Barnaby helped me reach all of the high areas in his house, which, by the way, were everywhere.

I turned to see Barnaby lifting Julie into the air with one hand like a figure skater. I laughed and made my way to the door. It was exactly 9 A.M.

I continued to wait by the door. Guests always showed up at 9:01, 9:02, 9:03, 9:04, 9:05, 9:06, 9:07, 9:08, and 9:10. It was rude to show up at any other time unless the party was started at a later time, in which case the same time rules applied. Finally, a knock on the door told me that it was 9:01.

  Sally waved enthusiastically. Each spike on her head donned a party hat. I thought that the look was exotic and fun. She gave me a big squeeze before taking Julie's hands and twirling around. Afterward, she dramatically bowed to Barnaby, who returned the gesture.

  The next guests were Eddie and Frank. Eddie has multiple yarn strands tied to his fingers. Frank had two. I welcomed them in.

"Eddie kept forgetting about the party, so i tied those strings to help him remember," Frank whispered to me. He smiled slightly as he glanced back at the happy mailman. They both walked deeper into the house to greet the others.

9:07. I waited at the door anxiously, my hand on the doorknob. The window of time to arrive was shrinking. Finally, I felt the doorknob jiggle. I opened it.

An eight foot bird stood at the door, her head angled down to see me.

"I have extra bandages in case someone gets hurt, so don't worry about that. I also have sunscreen, casts, and a tourniquet," she reassured happily. I giggled softly and let her into the house. She instantly began chatting with Barnaby and Eddie, for Julie and Frank were busy discussing the difference between a butterfly and a butter fly.

Howdy stopped by, much to my surprise. He waved at me with all of his hands before handing me a delicate basket covered in a soft, red, and white checker pattern cloth.

"I bid you well, neighbors!" He said, lifting his hat.

  "You're welcome to stay," I pleaded slightly. He rarely left his house. But still, he just politely shook his head and went on his way.

Finally, the clock struck 9:09. I frantically dove over to Barnaby and crouched down in the packed corner
Everyone was incredibly excited, well, all except for Frank. He was slightly uncomfortable.

  "Ope, 'tis only 9:09," Barnaby exclaimed quietly. He emphasized the "only" and "ope." I poked him.

"Oh, Barnaby, friend. You must be patient," I reminded him.

"You are one polite neighbor," he observed. I could hear Frank's sigh of shock and disappointment. He thought that those things were obvious. He was very smart.

The clock sang a happy chime at 9:10. We all waited as the doorknob turned.