Patt 51: Beagles

"That was nice," I hummed as we entered our home. Wally was kneeling by the window.

"I agree. That was.. refreshing?" Wally paused," I would like to go back and visit with him a bit more."

I opened the front door slightly and glanced at Barnaby's house. It seemed he had a guest!

"Wally, dear, someone is visiting Barnaby."

Wally joined me by the door and looked. He gasped.

"Oh, it's Barnaby's mother, Ms.Beagle! She's the chicken who crossed the road!" he exclaimed. "I love her dearly! Why, she practically raised me alongside Poppy!"

"Let's go visit her, then!" I stepped out the door. Wally followed me. We began dashing toward Barnaby's house.

"Mama! How are ya? Ya look real happy!" Barnaby hugged his mother. She was a little shorter than him.

"Barnaby, my boy! Still talking that way, hm? Well, I don't mind!" Miss Beagle smiled. She turned and looked at us. Her eyes lit up.
"Wally! Aren't you an adorable little fella now!" She picked him up and hugged him with one wing. She looked down at me.

"Oh? And who's this adorable neighbor?" She picked me up gently with her other wing and held me tight.

"Hello, Miss Beagle! Pleased to make your acquaintance!" I smiled. She chuckled lightly.

"Oh, how polite! I love you already! You may call me Mama Beagle, as many others here do already. Say, where's Miss Poppy at?"

A sudden quiet fell on everyone. Mama Beagle looked around, confused. Barnaby leaned over and whispered," Mama, Miss Poppy's.. gone."

"Oh! I'm terribly sorry for bringing it up, then. Now, how 'bout we go inside and have a nice lunch? Dinner? I hardly keep track of the time!" she exclaimed cheerily. We all knew she was trying to move past the sudden news. I did not know who Poppy was, but it was fine.

(Mama Beagle, although seemingly unfazed by the announcement l, was terribly heartbroken. Her dearest friend, gone, just like that. She tried not to dwell on it too much, however. She had family to feed and adore.)

"Ope, lemme squeeze past ya here. Thank ya, my boy," Mama Beagle said as she squeezed past Barnaby and into the house. She set Wally and I on one of the couches, and placed her wings on her hips as she looked around.
"You've got quite the eye for decorating," she smiled as she patted Barnaby's head.

Wally chuckled. She turned her attention back over to us.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, dearie! I am The Chicken Who Crossed the Road Beagle. I also go by Mama Beagle and Miss Beagle. I have actually crossed other things like mountains, rivers, oceans, and forests! I have yet to cross a bridge, surprisingly!" Mama Beagle patted my head.

"Oh! How very interesting!" I exclaimed. She laughed.

"Do you like cookies? I'd be happy to bake some for you! Cookies and ice cold water are absolutely scrumptious!" the giant chicken beamed. She twirled before walking to the kitchen with excitement. "Oooo, these cookies are going to be so good!"

(Barnaby followed her into the kitchen like a little puppy.

"Hey ma, how are ya doin'? 'Tis been a while since we lasted talked in person," Barnaby said. His mother looked over at him happily as she continued making the coolie dough.

"Doing just fine, sweet pea!"

"I'm real happy yer here to stay, y'know."

"Oh, of course I know! 'Tis why I came here! I'm positively shocked by how much everyone has grown! My two boys, all grown up," Mama Beagle said as she pretended to wipe a tear away.

"Oh, ma. Imma go check on he Darlings. See ya in a minute er so," Barnaby waved absently. His mother waved back in reply before returning to her current task.

Mama Beagle slid the cookie tray into the oven happily. She tucked the oven mitts back into the drawer by the oven before leaning against the counter.

"Let's see here... I've gotta feed three kids, so that's about 36 cookies, I reckon... Hmmm... That should be enough! I'll make an extra dozen jus' in case. I'm a bit of a snack-devourer myself, so I might nibble on a cookie or two..."

She hummed to herself as she swept the kitchen. She thought about the current events-- wait. Has Barnaby said Darlings? Surely he did not mean that. He had always possessed an endearing pattern of speech, so perhaps he had grown to add an 's' at the end of things.

Barnaby walked back in.

"They're doin' great, ma! Isn't Wally's hair real odd now? He fina'ly ran outta that hair gel, so he's gotta wait for his next ship'ent. Funny stuff if ya ask me," Barnaby bellylaughed. His mother laughed with him.

"I noticed that! I thought it was a wee bit funny to see him with his hair down! His hair must be soft, again! It used to be real crunchy, haha. Glad he's takin' care of himself after allat," Mama Beagle chuckled quietly. She took the cookies out of the oven and set them atop the stove to cool off. She made her way to the doorway of the kitchen and leaned against it.)

"Eat up, dearies! No one will feel hunger as long as I'm here!" Mam Beagle motioned for us to come into the kitchen. Wally and I did as she had motioned, walking into the kitchen curiously.

"Behold! I've got freshly plucked cookies here for you two! Eat as much as you want, mhm? It makes me happy to see others eat up!" the mother sang. I began to munch on some cookies. They were delicious! Barnaby was scarfing a few cookies down. Wally was staring thoughtfully at a cookie he held on both of his palms.

"Wally, son, you don't got to eat that cookie. I know how you are about things that don't contain apples. I don't mind if you don't eat it! I'll cut you some apples if you'd prefer, okay? Just lemme know."

"Would you mind cutting me some now..?" Wally asked quietly. The Chicken smiled and patted Wally's head. She seemed to enjoy reassuring others through head pats.

"Not at all! Don't want any of my dears to go hungry, mhm!" Mama Beagle clucked. She waddled over to a cutting board and began slicing some particularly juicy apples.

"Awe, ma. Ya jus' can't help but care for e'ryone 'round ya, hm?" Barnaby helped his mother cut a few apples. She playfully slapped his face with a wing.

"Hey! Ya watch your tone, mister! I could easily quit caring for you if you want," said Ms.The Chicken Who Crossed the Road. "Oh, but we know I'd never."

"Barnaby! Do not bother mother, please," Wally scolded Barnaby. He had one hand on his hip, the other pointing at Barnaby.

"Jus' some mother-son jokin', Wally! No need ta lose yer head," Barnaby stated. He smiled slyly at Wally. "In this case, try not ta lose yer hairstyle.. You've already lost yer nose and brows, after all."

Mama Beagle made an undignified clucking sound. "Barnaby Snoopy Woodstock Beagle! You quit insulting Wally! He's just a little guy! He's harmless!"

"My heart has been impaled," Wally said as he pretended to sob on my shoulder. He kept giggling, however, which broke any illusion of sadness or hurt he was trying to create.

"Can't ya see he's bein' dramatic?!"

"I think your mother is right, Barnaby," I laughed quietly. Barnaby chuckled.

"Oh, but yer opinion is biased! I ain't listenin' to any of ya!" Barnaby threw his paws up playfully.

We spent the rest of the evening exchanging jokes and stories with Mama Beagle. We grew quite tired just before curfew, so we each claimed a couch and slept. Today had been much better than I had expected!