Part 47: Departure

(Wally sat at the table, motionless. He assumed it was around 1 in the morning, now.

He sighed and stared down at the table. How exactly was this going to play out? There were too many variables mixed within the equation..

There was still Julie's pansy to deal with. She had complained to him a couple nights back about how it seemed to be encroaching on her property. This mystery had left Wally with an uneasy feeling.

There was also Howdy. He had recognized the difference in the sky and had pointed it out in a discreet manner. How much did he know?

Barnaby was an added variable, well, variables. Wally had disposed of the two men, but he was still left with the original Barnaby. He couldn't even look at the once loveable dog without feeling some type of betrayal.

Wally needed to make the call now. That would mean he'd have to disappear for a bit, but it would all be worth it if it meant fixing the increasingly growing mess that had appeared along with you.

Oh, you. Wally has forgotten. You'd probably be worried sick over him if he left without warning... Perhaps he'd have to be cold and distant so you'd forget about him and not notice his absence. Wally wasn't sure.

He still wanted to be near you, but that would mess up the plans. You already knew about Barnaby and the pansy. There was no need to drag you into the fake sky situation.

What on earth was he going to do?! Wally wasn't used to being forced into making such impactful decisions. He held his head in his hands, defeated. It almost seemed like there was no way out... Out. Wally wanted out. He didn't want to be stuck in the neighborhood anymore. Of course, he'd bring you with him. You didn't deserve to be trapped, either.. Actually, no one did. Wally needed to figure out how to rescue everyone.

Wally sighed deeply and rested his head on the table. He was supposed to be enjoying himself right now, yet here he was, sitting at a table hopelessly.

Wally didn't notice Eddie walk in.

Eddie stared at Wally, a worried expression gently placed on his face. What was his little friend doing looking so horrified and tired? He marched over to Wally and pulled up a chair. He folded his hands and set them on the table.

"Relationship trouble..?" Eddie asked. Wally shook his head.

"No.. something else.. Whay are you doing up at this hour?"

"I usually wake up at this time to collect the mail I need to deliver. I always go back to sleep once everything is in my mail carrier bag, though!" Eddie smiled gently in an attempt to comfort Wally. Wally chuckled weakly.

"Is that so? How interesting," he sighed.

"Yesterday was fun, right? I liked hanging out with you two. It was like a.. um... Oh, what was it called? Ah! A double date. It was like a double date, wasn't it?" Eddie looked at Wally. Wally thought for a moment.

"A double date..? I suppose so," Wally replied with a slight shrug. Eddie raised a brow.

"I know I may not have the sharpest memory, or even be the most observant, but you're acting a little detached, Wally. What's going on?" Eddie patted Wally's hand. Wally looked up at Eddie quietly.

"I just need to make some important decisions," Wally said flatly as he traced a finger along the grooves of the table. Eddie frowned slightly.

"Wally, you really need to talk to people when you're feeling this way. I'll ask one more time in case you're ready to talk now.. What are you planning?"

"Eddie... I must.. make a call," Wally laughed softly. It was a sad laugh, for he knew no matter what he did, he could not escape this decision.

"A call? Wally... You should rest up, neighbor. If you keep this up, you'll end up sick with worry. Wouldn't want that, you know? Go on. Go to bed," Eddie patted Wally's head. He stood up and left to grab mail.
Eddie did not understand why Wally was so nervous about making a call, but he didn't judge.

"I should, shouldn't I?" Wally muttered. He got up and began the slow walk to the guest room. He felt a slow stream of tears roll down his face. He tried to wipe them away as he opened the door quietly. He didn't want to wake you. Not now.

He had failed his current mission. His slippers squeaked and woke you up.)

"..Hmmmmmmmm?" I asked sleepily. I rubbed my eyes and squinted at the shadow by the door. I figured it was Wally. I tilted my head.
"Why... still awake?" I managed to question. Wally didn't respond.

My eyes adjusted to the dark a bit more. I managed to make out the outlines of Wally. He seemed to have his hands to his face.. Was he rubbing his eyes because of sleepiness? No.. He was crying.

I turned on the lamp by the bed and looked over at him. He walked over slowly and flopped onto the bed face first. Wally began to sob.

I wiggled out from beneath the weighted covers and crawled over to him. What a sad sight.

I hugged him as best as I could. He was lying down flat, so it was difficult to actually do so.

"Oh, dear. Why are you crying? You don't have to answer if you'd rather not, but it would help to know."

Wally didn't respond. He just confused sobbing. I didn't mind, though. It was difficult to voice thoughts sometimes.

(Wally wanted to tell you everything, but he couldn't. He just.. couldn't. There was nothing he could say to explain why he was weeping. Wally himself had trouble deciphering why he was crying.)

Wally eventually fell asleep. I managed to turn him over, and placed him in the middle of the bed. I tucked him in gently. He certainly needed sleep. I didn't know what he was going through, but he was being absolutely shredded.

"Sleep well, Wally," I whispered. I left the guest room to go check on the clock. I looked out the window. It was around five now. I still wanted to sleep, but I was too awake now.

I sat at the table and thought about how the rest of the day would play out.