Part 17: Oddities

I woke up. The phone was still on. I could hear Wally on the other end.

"I'm sleeping... I'm sleeping..." he mumbled. I chuckled and hung up.

Suddenly, I remembered something. When was the last the cameras were on? It had been a while... I quickly surveyed my home. I could not find a single red light, which indicated we were being watched. What had happened? Wally hadn't been staring at them for a while, too. I groaned. Too much was happening.

I placed my hand under my pillow, trying to cool it off. My hand brushed past something textured. I pulled it out. It was the blue scrap. I held it in my hands.

Suddenly, a light went off in my head. The scrap of fabric must have belonged to Sally! It was the same color and had the same texture as the circular blue head she had. I wasn't sure what was going on, but something bad must have happened.

I dashed over to Sally's house and opened the door. Her sun face "mask" fell off and clattered to the ground. I stared at Sally. She stared back. I felt my heart beat quickening. There she was, her head and face now circular and blue. The same textured craters and dots covered her. I was almost tempted to call her the moon.

"!!!!!!" She made a surprised sound, covering her face with her still yellow hands. She still had the back part of her spiky yellow headpiece attached.

"....Sally?" I asked. I wasn't sure it was her. This new neighbor had the same face and voice, but she looked completely opposite of Sally. The sun versus the moon. That's what it was.

"You can't be here! He won't be happy with me! This isn't supposed to be happening!" Sally cried. Her tears stained her blue overalls. She clung to me at the front door. "Please.." she whispered.

I held my hands up, almost in surrender. What was I supposed to say in this situation?

"Can...can you fill me in on what's going on?" I questioned softly. Sally nodded. I held her hand and brought her to my house. I grabbed my homephone before leaving again. I brought Sally to the spot in the forest.

I pointed to my phone. "Wally might need me again. He's been in such a depressive mood! I need to keep him content so he doesn't..well.. don't worry about that, dear."

I gave Sally the blue scrap of fabric. She started tearing up again.

"The truth is, I was a reversible puppet. One day, something... happened. I'm not ready to discuss it yet. Anyways, I had a moon side. I loved it. I only showed it during the night. It was just me, but with a different look. Eventually, the transition from sun to moon got stuck. I couldn't switch. I needed help. So, I went and begged Wally to.. remove it. He did and buried my moon side here, under all this dirt... but.. but I couldn't part with it yet." Sally told her story in such a flat and scared voice. I was absolutely captivated.

She continued. "So, one night, I found it and tried to gather all of the scraps of fabric. Obviously, I didn't get them all. I.. ripped the seam along the sides of my head and popped off my sun mask. I then began sewing my moon back in... But, I did something wrong. I had to run to Wally and explain everything. He was angry but accepted it.

He sewed everything in for me, but warned me that it would be painful to switch sides. I didn't listen. I also didn't listen to the part where I would switch every night now... it's a side effect of the fabric being ripped out and then sewn back in me. The pain of the stitches along the sides of my head being torn apart drove me crazy. The pain was so bad, I went feral every single time I tried to change into my moon side. My reversible feature had been permanently damaged thanks to my doing.

Eventually, I began sewing my head together with tighter, closer stitches in hopes that it would stop me from splitting. It didn't work, as you saw... Ever since then, my life has been a circus."