Part 11: Wally and Poppy

A few days after my visit with Poppy, I found myself rearranging and decorating my house more often. Today, as I moved the nightstand by my bed, I was surprised to hear what sounded like angry squeaking. I opened my front door and looked around.

My eyes settled on a very disgruntled Home. Wally was looking out a window, scratching at it like a sad cat. I giggled to myself. What had he done to upset the tallest neighbor?

"Home, what happened?" I said, suppressing my laughter.

In response, Home gave me a series of angry door squeaks, windows slams, curtain closing, and rumbling. It seemed that Wally had gone to Howdy's shop and and ate all the apples.

"Oh, so you're punishing him!" I laughed. Home squeaked a yes. Wally continued scratching at the window sadly. He wanted out. I waved at him. He perked up, saying something to Home. Home rolled its eyes and opened its front door.

"Hello, dear!" He blew me a kiss. I laughed, blowing him a kiss.

"Wherever did you learn such a thing?" I asked.

"Mom. Poppy. She taught me that "dear", "sweet", and "darling" are all terms of endearment used on friends! She also taught me that blowing kisses can be a very lovely way to greet neighbors!"

I smiled. "Oh, that's wonderful! I was referring to you eating Howdy's apples that were still in their crate, however."

Wally tugged at the collar of his shirt nervously. "Ohhh, that.. ahah... Home told you, hm? Well, I.." he looked own at his shoes, thinking. "I was just.. hungry!"

I laughed. "Oh? Okay!"

"Yes. Anyways, would you like to go do something?" Wally tilted his head slightly, waiting for a response.

"Oh! Does a walk around the neighborhood and then a tea part aound delightful to you?" I asked. He looked up, deciding. He looked at me again.

"Sounds perfect!"

"Wonderful! Let's go then," I said, offering him my hand. I usually held the hand of whatever neighbor I was with when we went on walks. It always helped me feel a little less nervous. Wally looked at my hand for a few seconds before taking it.

"Alright!" He smiled at me.

"Oh! If you don't mind, I have to stop by Sally's house! Howdy asked me if I could deliver her the threads she ordered." I did not want to run errands if my companion didn't want me to. After all, it was improper to drag someone around as you did your chores.

"No bother at all," he said flatly. I nodded, leading him over to Sally's house. I knocked.

"Sally, dear! I have the supplies you ordered!" I called. Sally opened the door and gratefully took the box.

"Thank you, thank you, thank youuuuuu, you beautifullllll friiiiiii~eeeennnddddddd!" Sally sang. She twirled. She was about to hand me an invitation to something when she saw Wally, who had been behind me the entire time. "Oh, you know, I just remembered! Stop by later, 'kay?" She waved at me.

"That was odd, was it not? I wonder if I did or said something that upset her... she seems so uncomfortable around me," I said with an exasperated sigh. Wally continued walking.

"Sally is a star, after all. You know how they can be. Unpredictable. Explosive." He muttered the last part. It was obvious he didn't think I could hear him. I said nothing. I didn't truly understand what he had meant, but I thought it was rude to press the issue further.

"I suppose you're right..." I trailed off. "Oh! Should we invite some friends over for the tea party?"

"If it's no trouble at all to you, I'd prefer if it was just us two," Wally replied, smoothing his hair. I did not know why he was smoothing his hair. His hair was as hard as a rock, after all. It was still a tad bit squishy, surprisingly.