Part 50: Disregard

(Wally walked into the living room and face planted to the floor. He did not expect to be having an existential crisis so early in his life.

It was even more shocking how he knew such a big word considering his tiny brain.)

I walked over to my house to go deliver the news to Wally. I opened the door, not expecting much. Wally was on the floor face-down.

"Wally?" I asked. I raised a brow and looked down at him. I walked over and crouched beside him.

"I'm having an existential crisis," answered his muffled voice. I placed a hand on his hand.

"Ah, I see. May I ask what caused you to spiral into this realization?"

"I called the compan--- someone. I called someone, and they hung up. It.. um.. hurt my feelings," Wally answered. Was he going to say company? My curiosity had been piqued. I despised being left in the dark.

"Aw, that's what happened? I can't promise that things will get better, but know that I'll never hang up on you unless it's for a life-threatening emergency!" I scooped him off the floor a bit and squeezed him. What a sad little guy! I did not want him to be sad ever again.

(Although you could not see his face, Wally was making his wobbly smile. You were far too good at ensuring he was happy, well, that everyone was happy. Wally wondered if he was good at keeping people happy, too.

He could not return your hug. Though he willed his arms to move, they would not listen.)

"Oh, that's right. Frank is feeling unwell, so Eddie requested we postpone our activities for another day."

"Frank is feeling unwell? I see," Wally muttered. I stopped hugging him and stretched.

"Yep. Poor Frank!"

(Wally fixed his gaze to the floor. He already knew what Frank was dealing with again. Did he seriously have to go through that process again? Oh well. It was worth it if it meant Frank could feel better again for a while.)

"What should we do for the rest of the day, then?" Wally asked me. He tilted his head.

"I think we should go check on Barnaby and Howdy," I stood up and offered him my hand. Wally took my hand happily.

"But... Howdy is gonna look at me like this!" Wally exclaimed. He placed his fingers by the corners of his mouth and did his best to stretch it into a frown. "And I'm still not happy with Barnaby!"

"Oh, come on, it will make you feel better. Anyway, if they bother you, I'll have Sally deal with them, okay?" I turned around to open the front door. Wally followed me reluctantly.

"Okay..."

We made it to the bodega. Wally seemed nervous, but it was clear he was willing to apologize despite knowing he'd be stealing soon.

"Salutations, Howdy!" I waved. Howdy waved back.

"Hello. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"If just having people step into your shop is considered a blessing, I'm worried about how well you'll do during the safety and health inspection," Wally muttered quietly to himself.

"Wally is here to apologize to you for provoking and irritating you," I smiled as I pinched Wally's arm. He had assumed that I hadn't heard his unnecessary comment. "I need to go grab some supplies, too."

I wandered into an aisle. If either of them started a fight, I'd drag Wally out of the shop instantly.

(Wally peered up at Howdy from below the counter. He was much too short to be able to lean on it comfortably.