Part 34: Stay?

Howdy brought me to the bodega. It was the first time I had entered it.. or so I thought. It sure felt like I had visited before, but I wasn't sure.

He placed me in a box filled with pillows and blankets. He gently tucked a blanket around me.

"Is there anything else you need?" Howdy asked me as he placed a towel on my head. I sneezed and shook my head. Howdy chuckled softly. "I hope that sneeze doesn't mean I was too late in rescuing you."

(Although the joke itself sounded innocent enough, Howdy cringed slightly, for he knew that he had just unwillingly made a comment about both Poppy and himself.

Perhaps they wouldn't notice his discomfort. Howdy hoped that they wouldn't, although he also knew that they had a keen eye...)

I yawned. The rain was still pouring, and the sound made me sleepy. As my eyelids drooped with exhaustion, I reached my arms out toward Howdy. Maybe he liked holding his neighbors close? I wasn't sure, but he seemed quite sweet.

Howdy inched closer to my box and accepted my offer. He hugged me gently, allowing me to rest my head on his shoulder. I fell asleep in that oddly familiar comfort... I had definitely hugged this caterpillar before.. I just didn't know when.

(As you fell asleep, Howdy took deep breaths to calm himself. Sure, he was thrilled that you wanted a hug, but he couldn't help but feel a little sad still. The hug was still special, but you were now unaware of how much he loved you. It hurt his heart a bit, but he knew that with a little bit of patience, maybe you'd realize it one day, but then again, you were painfully oblivious at times... He knew you didnt even realize why Wally had given you that ring.)

I woke up some time in the afternoon. The gentle embrace I had enjoyed just a few hours ago was gone. I looked around.

Howdy was sitting at his counter, sorting through items and envelopes. I was particularly fascinated by a basket decorated with lace and ribbons. I pointed at it from my box.

"What's that?" I asked. Howdy looked to where I was pointing. His smile faltered for just a moment before turning back to me.

"It used to hold a very delicious pie. I consider the basket as part of the gift," Howdy said with a hidden sigh. He studied the basket for a little longer before looking back at me. I nodded.

"It's very lovely. I'm sure you were delighted to receive it," I smiled. Howdy nodded.

"Yes. I was just delighted.."

(Howdy didn't know how much longer of this interaction he could take. It was heartbreaking watching you not recognize your own basket.

Howdy clutched his chest in the spot where his heart was for a moment. He wanted to spend the rest of the day crying, but you were with him.

He had the sinking feeling that you would still be as caring and as comfort as you originally had been, but he wasn't sure. He said nothing of it, only stealing glances your way to see if he could recognize any trace of recognition in your face. He could not.)

"Can we go explore the rest of the neighborhood?" I climbed out of my box. Howdy walked over  and looked down at me for a minute or two. He smiled gently.

"Sure..." Howdy tried to stay cheerful, but it was obvious something was making him sad. I didn't know what, so I stayed quiet and held his hand as we walked around past everyone's houses.

"Hello, Sally!" Howdy waved at a puppet with a spiky, sun-shaped head. She looked at me quizzically. Howdy whispered something in her ear. A look of shock crossed her face for a split second.

(Howdy had to go through the trouble of explaining the situation to everyone as vaguely as he could.

Sally was understanding. She was worried about you, but she knew you'd be okay. You were always okay.