Part 19: Joke

I led Howdy and Wally over to the barn. Howdy lifted us both up ohot his shoulders so we could see over our neighbors. I clamped both of my hands over my mouth.

Standing in the doorway of the barn was Poppy... But, this wasn't Poppy. She looked like Poppy..she sounded like Poppy, but she was not Poppy. Poppy was gone. She could not stand, run, jump, or smile ever again. So, who was this?

"That's not..." Howdy paused. He continued staring at the new neighbor.

"Hello, dears! I am Poppy."

Wally wiggled out of Howdy's grip.

"That's not Poppy," he muttered angrily. He made his way through the crowd until he was standing in front of the large bird. "That thing is not mom," he mumbled quietly.

"Hello, sweetie! You must be Wally," the neighbor said, clasping her wings together.

Wally did not reply. He turned around.

"Friends! I must give this neighbor a true welcome! If you don't mind, please leave," he said. Howdy and I turned around instantly to leave.

"Howdy, I want to see what he's going to do! I've never seen a true welcome before," I tugged at Howdy's uniform. He looked down at me and stooped to my height.

"Don't worry then, friend," he winked. He quickly led me away before circling us back over to the barn.

Wally was inside now. Howdy and I took a peek inside the barn, opening the door ever so slightly.

Wally was standing, looking up at the new neighbor. Poppy 2 was looking down at him. She had a scarf wrapped around her neck. Wally was staring intently at her.

"He must be nervous," Howdy whispered. I looked on. It didn't seem like he was nervous, but Howdy was probably right.

Instantly, stuffing exploded in the spot Poppy 2 had been. It flew everywhere, some sticking to Wally's hair. He looked down at the deflated body, kicking some stuffing and fabric away from him.

"Bye-bye," he smiled. He began dragging her out the back door towards the forest.

"I'm not fond of people who try to be someone they are not," he hummed. Howdy placed one set of his hands on my shoulders as Wally left.