Part 15: Loss

The loss of Poppy was no surprise to us. She had been sick for a while, so it only made sense. Still, that didn't help the situation.

The news spread a few days after the dinner party. It had caused all of us to hide away in our homes, shunning the sunlight that Poppy had been so desperate to see.

Out of all of us, Wally was hit the hardest. Home tried to make him go outside, but he never left, only occasionally looking out the window. When waved to, he wouldn't even blow a kiss.

Poppy's death made me feel an unbearable numbness. I didn't know what to do. I had so many plans for us.. the following weeks were supposed to be filled with baking, knitting, and crocheting. But I couldn't do those anymore. It didn't feel right.

Out of habit, I checked my front door. No one was there, as expected. I didn't know how to spend my time.

For the first time in a long time, I was forced to keep myself company. It was an unsettling truth, and I had to face it.

Not wanting to face that truth today,  I picked up my phone and dialed a number. I didn't even know what I had dialed, but it didn't matter. I longed to talk to someone.

"Hello...?" I asked weakly. I didn't know if anyone would respond, but I craved contact. I looked down and retraced my muscle memory. I had dialed Poppy's number. My trembling fingers hung up and dialed a new number.

"..." This time, I couldn't speak at all. My tongue felt so heavy, and my thoughts were a blur. Was it rude to call someone during a period of mourning? Am I delusional? All sorts of questions filled my head. I felt a pang of pain explode from the back of my head, slowly making its way forward.

"Hello..." Julie greeted. I could tell she wasn't smiling.

"I'm sorry. I'll hang up."

"It's alright, neighbor," she said hesitantly. I heard her sigh softly. This was the mildest, absolute worst side of Julie. She didn't deserve to feel such an ugly emotion.

"I don't know what to do..." I commented randomly. I just wanted to break the silence. That was all I wanted.

"..I don't either. I'm sorry. I'm not in the mood to talk right now. Later, okay?" Julie replied gently, hanging up.

I was left all alone with the deafening silence again. I could hear my ears ringing. The sky was gray and lifeless. Nothing sparked joy.

"I'll go call Wally and offer him my condolences," I grimaced. It was painful, but I knew he needed someone to talk to.

"Wally?" I held the phone close.

"...Helloooo..." he replied slowly.

"I'm terribly sorry about...mom," I said. I wasn't sure if calling Poppy mom instead of her name was a good move, but it was the name Wally gave to her. I figured he'd prefer to hear her be called mom.

"Thanks."

"Wally? Do you need someone to come over? I can send some-"

"This is just a cruel prank, right neighbor? Someone just wanted to make little ole Wally suffer for whatever he has done..." he interrupted, his voice low and shaky. It was frightening to hear him in such a state.

"Wally, you and I both know it's very real. If you just let me, I can..." I stopped. Wally wasn't listening. He was preoccupied with something. Something I worried about. What was it he was doing? Whatever it is, it couldn't be good. I quickly hung up and threw up my coat, running out my door to go confront my friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note:
*Heyyyy! Sorry for the short, angsty chapter. I'll make it up with a wholesome chapter if it's what you'd all like. Please stick around until the endings, though! I promise there will be an alternate ending to suit your ideals. Just bear with me! We've reached a climax, so the chapters may become.. a tad bit more feral.
Anyways, thank you!

<3