Part 25: Pick

I rushed over to Barnaby's house. I knocked on it.

"Ope, 'ello there. Ready fer some picking? Wally's bouncin' off the walls with excitement," Barnaby said. He pointed behind him. I looked. Wally was running around the house excitedly. He stopped once he heard Barnaby.

"I'm not bouncing off the walls! I am simply running around excitedly!" Wally crossed his arms and looked up at Barnaby. Barnaby chuckled.

"Let's get going then, yeah?" Barnaby held two small baskets in his enormous paws. They looked small, but they were fairly large compared to Wally and I. We walked for a bit until we reached an orchard.

""Kay. Got sum rules. Wally, yer a smart fella, so don't go off runnin' around without someone near. That's it."

Barnaby settled down under one of the taller trees. He folded his hands over his stomach and watched us sleepily.

"Barnaby, would you like to help pick apples with us? I have a feeling Wally and I aren't going to be able to reach a lot of the apples," I laughed. Barnaby laughed with me, standing back up.

"Alrighty. Bein' short must be tough, haha."

For the next hour or so, Barnaby alternated between picking me up and picking Wally up. Wally spent most of his time blinking at apples on the tree.

"I shore am tired.. how 'bout you two?" Barnaby said with a yawn. He held our baskets for us. My basket was filled with an acceptable amount of apples. Wally's basket was piled high.

"I'm not tired!" Wally exclaimed as he stared at an apple in his hands.

"I'm a little tired, but since Wally wants to continue, we can.."

Wally looked over at me with concern. He reached out, wanting to hug me, but he stopped. I tilted my head.

"Sorry," Wally apologized. I sighed and gave him a tight hug. What was he sad about this time?

We made it back to the neighborhood. I set my basket of apples down on my porch. I had a wonderful plan! I was going to bake some treats for Wally and Howdy. Wally didn't seem to be doing okay, so I figured giving him some gifts would help a little. Of course, I knew there was trembling comfort in talking to someone. I would call Wally later.

I set to work instantly. I rolled out dough, chopped apples, and did all sorts of other things. I baked both of them pies. I cut little designs into the top crust before baking. I cut them both portraits of themselves. Wally's pie had a design of himself, and Howdy's pie had one of Howdy.

I set the pies in cute little baskets decorated with ribbons and lace.

"They'll love these for sure!" I proclaimed proudly to no one. I tucked flowers in the space between the pie and the basket. I was about to deliver both of them at the same time when I realized that Wally was probably feeling a little left out. I sighed and picked up Howdy's basket first. Wally would want to talk for a while.

I skipped over to the bodega, opening the door as I arrived. I set the basket down on the counter.

"Hello, Howdy! I have another present for you!" I hummed, looking up at him from below the counter. He looked down at me, stumned but grateful.

"A-another? You're too sweet," Howdy stuttered and stumbled over his words. I continued smiling. What a cute reaction! I hoped that Wally would do something similar.

"Just for you, dear! I went apple picking and thought you would appreciate a little something," I grinned. Howdy lifted up the basket carefully, setting it down on the table behind him.

He held one of my hands with two of his. "I have a surprise for you later, too, okay? Also, thank you for everything you've done! I'm going to hang out with Julie and Eddie soon."

I just nodded, beaming with happiness. I looked back over at Howdy. He wanted to say or do something, but he didn't. He waved.

"Come back again later..? Only if you'd like to, of course!"

"I would love that," I waved. I walked back to my house and grabbed Wally's basket. I walked over to Home. I was about to knock, but I heard someone chatting inside.
I knew it was rude to eavesdrop, but I was just waiting for the conversation to end so I could deliver a treat.

"Oh, Home! Aren't they just wonderful? I don't know what to say or do anymore! What do you think? I'm worried I'm being overbearing and a chore to be around," came a muffled voice. It was Wally's. Home made a series of noises.

"You really think they'd like that?" he asked. "Okay. I'll go get ready, then!" Wally said as he approached the door. He opened it, only to find me.

"Hello, neighbor! I have a gift for you!" I held out the basket happily. Wally fainted. "Oh! I've scared him!" I gasped.

"Barnaby! I've made Wally faint. Would you be a dear friend and put Wally somewhere comfy?" I turned around and said as Barnaby walked past Home. Barnaby nodded and helped me bring Wally to his bed.

"Ahaha. Made him faint, did ya? I see you've brought him a pie. Ya know he's not gonna believe ya when ya say 'tis apple pie, right?" Barnaby chuckled as he tucked Wally in. He patted my head. "Ya gotta quit worryin' so much, neighbor. Yer always makin' shore everybody else is happy, but who makes ya happy?"

I paused. "Who.. makes me happy..? I don't think I've ever thought about that.." I said quietly. Barnaby sighed.

"'Tis an important question. I'm always open to talk if you need it, 'kay?" He looked down at me after tucking Wally in. I placed the basket of goods on Wally's nightstand.

"You're right, Barnaby... Yes, I would appreciate it if I could talk to you sometime," I smiled. I gave Barnaby a hug before standing to leave. "Are you going to stay here with Wally?"

"Oh, shore. I gotta ask him to tell Frank to quit bothering mister Howdy," Barnaby laughed. He waved goodbye to me. I waved back and left. What an odd day it had been! I hoped that it would be full of fun tomorrow.

I went to bed. At around midnight, my telephone rang. I answered it sleepily.

"Hello? This is.. residence.. speaking," I greeted, completely drowsy. I didn't notice that I had forgotten to state important information.

"Hello, dearest. Did I wake you?" Wally's voice rang clearly through the phone.

"Not.. not at all," I yawned. "Did you see your basket?"

"I did. That's why I'm calling... Thank you so much."  Wally replied. I could tell he was smiling. I imagined him twirling the cord around his finger dramatically as we spoke.

"You sure enjoy late night calls, don't you?" I chuckled softly. I heard Wally laugh on the other side.

"Is that a problem? I apologize. I'm used to my late night gossip sessions with Julie."

"Are we about to have a gossip session..?" I asked teasingly. Wally laughed again. I was glad he was feeling better.

"If you'd like to. I just wanted to chat for a bit. If you'd like to go back to bed, please feel free to do so!" Wally was being extremely considerate. I was worried he thought he made me uncomfortable. I didn't think that. I just wanted to spend some time with a forgotten neighbor.

"Oh, no, it's fine! I enjoy calls with friends," I said with a quiet sigh. I massaged my head, hoping the headache would go away. I continued. "What should we talk about?"

"I'm.. I'm not sure." Wally sounded hesitant.

"I'm wide awake now. I won't be falling asleep anytime soon," I laughed gently.

"Well.. would you like to go on a friend date with me sometime?" Wally laughed awkwardly. "You'll probably be hearing that request a lot.. Everyone is rather fond of you, you know.." Wally sighed.

I laughed. "That's nice. I need to spend more time with everyone, I think."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry if the quality is a bit bad!! Turns out I had food poisoning. It's kinda funny, but it's all good. 👍