Part 27: Over

Someone knocked on my door. I jumped off my couch and opened the door. It was Barnaby. He waved at me.

"Heya, shorty. Howdy sent me. Kinda. He's over at his bodega worried 'bout you. His face was so red, I thought Wally 'ad been painting him. Anyways, I thought I'd come over and check on ya fer him."

I hugged Barnaby. Barnaby patted my head with a firm paw. I was afraid he'd push me straight into the floor.

"Oh, Barnaby. I've been feeling so horrible! I just want to be happy.  That's what everyone else does. That's my role," I cried. He patted my back.

"'Tis fine. If ya don' mind me sayin', I think I'd like ta check in with ya on my last question. Have ya found who makes you happy yet? I'm quite worried 'bout you. I'm sorry no one checks in on ya much."

I went silent for a moment. "Um, well...I'll get back to you on that.."

Barnaby nodded. As he stepped through the door, his hit his foot against the doorframe. A hollow sound was made. It sounded exactly like an empty box being kicked. I looked over at him quizzically.

"Barnaby? What was that?" I looked up at Barnaby. He looked down at me.

"What was what?"

I continued staring at him, my brows furrowed. I said nothing, however. Deep down, I knew. Barnaby was hollow. I didn't quite understand how hollow puppets worked, but it was probably insensitive to ask. A fearful chill ran up my spine and crawled down my arms. What was going on here?

Barnaby noticed my uncomfortable discovery, although he only saw my expression. He did not know my thoughts. "Sorry this visit is so short. I gotta go check on sum neighb'rs. See ya, kiddo," Barnabh waved as he left. I waved back.

I turned around and sighed. It was terrible being left in the dark. First, there was the forest. Second, Julie's pansy. There were all sorts of ysteries I had to solve slowly and quietly.. by myself.

I looked up as someone else knocked on the door. I answered it wearily. I just wanted to relax for the rest of the evening. I looked up. It was Howdy. He had a wobbly smile plastered on his face, his hands neatly folded in front of him.

"H-hello, flower! How.. how are you doing? It's still raining, unfortunately, but the rain is quite nice if you're able to look at it a certain way. At least, that's what I've been told," he chuckled awkwardly. I smiled up at him.

"What brings you to my doorstep, Howdy?" I tilted my head. Howdy swallowed nervously, his cheeks flushing slightly.

"I didn't want to leave you alone when you were in such a... delicate state. It's rude to not comfort your neighbors, right? You taught me that lesson.. Actually, you taught us all that lesson."

I hugged him. How considerate. I also liked how Howdy did not add to my pile of secrets I had ro solve.

"Who's watching the bodega?"

Howdy laughed heartily. "Wally. He stole more apples, so I grabbed him by the collar and plopped him onto a stool behind the counter. It's the least he can do for stealing, that little thief."

I laughed with him. I was not surprised by Wally's behavior. I looked back up at Howdy.

"Do you want to go check on Sally with me?" I asked. Howdy nodded and scooped me up again. We both came to a nonverbal agreement that Howdy was my mode of transportation now.

Sally was over at Barnaby's house. She was sleeping on one of Barnaby's couches. (Barnaby had many because he enjoyed getting out of one couch, walking to another, and then sleeping again.)