Part 42: Barnaman

I woke up the next day to soft singing coming from the kitchen. I wandered over to the source of the sound. I rubbed my eyes.

It was Wally! He was standing by the stove cooking pancakes while singing quietly.

"Good morning!" Wally greeted. He was still focused on what he was doing when he acknowledged me. I was surprised he knew I was there.

"Good morning, Wally! What are you up to?" I continued watching him in a slight awe. I already knew he was cooking breakfast, but I just wanted to engage him in some type of conversation. Wally did enjoy talking, after all.

I myself preferred staying quiet and just spending time with those I cared for. I understood that what I enjoy had to be compromised sometimes for the sake of others. Besides, I did enjoy talking with Wally.

"I'm making you breakfast. I need to go help Howdy and Julie with something today. I do apologize. I planned on sitting down and eating breakfast with you, but I've run out of time," Wally smiled apologetically at me as he placed a plate of pancakes down on the table. He quickly scurried out the kitchen door to grab a coat before he left.

I quickly followed him and hugged him before he left. I hoped that I was doing a good job making sure he was cared for. I held him tight so he wouldn't slip out of my arms when going limp.

"Goodbye, Wally! Thank you for making me breakfast! Don't worry. We'll eat breakfast together another time. Enjoy your day," I spoke. I waved in response as he blew me another kiss. He walked towards the bodega. I closed the front door and went back to munching on the pancakes he had made me.

(As Wally marched over to the bodega, he couldn't help but feel a very gentle warmth. Everything you two has done recently felt like something only married couples did, but then again, Wally had never been married. He wasn't sure if all those things were activities friends did. Nevertheless, he was happy. You had been especially considerate toward him for the past few days now.

An hour later, Wally was still helping Julie and Howdy cut things out and sort items on the shelves. As he did so, he thought of the tea party that you two were going to host. He was rather excited! Wally enjoyed parties even though there were rarely any apple-based food or drink products.)

I was reading the newspaper when the telephone rang. I quickly answered it.

"Wally! 'Lil bud! Oh, please help. I can't find my glove, and I'm supposed to go help Frank and Eddie out with assembling furniture!" Barnaby spoke, a sense of urgency in his voice.

"Oh, Barnaby, dear! Wally left to go help Howdy and Julie out with some errands. I can help if you'd like, though! I know I'm not the best choice, but I'm available," I answered. The phone was silent for a minute or two.

(Barnaby knew you were now hesitant to be around him for fear he'd have another outburst. Barnaby did feel ashamed for that. Next time, he would phrase it better for sure.

Having you know about his problem wasn't ideal, but you were the only one available, just as you had said. Sally was free currently, but she had threatened him not too long ago. Asking her for assistance would not be the best idea at the moment.)

"M'kay, kiddo. I 'ppreciate yer willin'ness, but I ain't convinced that yer suited for this. No hard feelin's, I jus' don' wan' ya to be disturbed, mhm? I'm sorry 'bout my harsh way of speaking sometimes, too. Thanks fer bein' kind to my good bud, though. You keep being nice to 'him, 'kay? Anyways, what have ya been up to?"

"Oh! Yesterday, Wally and I waltzed and baked a cake. We also had a spa night not too long ago."

Barnaby chuckled on the other end. "And yer shore yer not a married couple? Absolutely shore?"