twentythree

december 25, 2022

"Merry Christmas, Hols."

My eyes opened to see Britain sitting on the end of my bed, smiling brightly at me. A laugh spilled from my lips when I saw the Santa hat sitting atop his head. "Merry Christmas, Brit."

He held a hand out to me, "Mom and Dad are already waiting." Of course, they were.

Our parents were always up ridiculously early on Christmas. They wanted to make Christmas the most special time for us, regardless of how old we were or where we were when Christmas came around.

"Good morning, Loves." Mom smiled brightly when Britain and I made it down the stairs, pulling us into a joint hug. "Merry Christmas."

Dad just tossed us both a present, not really saying anything before he did. Typical.

I laughed, sitting down on the couch and tearing the wrapping off of what Dad had thrown at me.

"A beanie?" I asked, holding up the beige colored hat. I looked over, Britain holding up the same hat, but in black.

Dad nodded the biggest smile on his face. "We're going on a ski and snowboarding trip next month to Lake Tahoe! Merry Christmas!"

He was so excited, and frankly, I was too. Randomly, Mom and Dad would surprise us with a big trip. They tried to always plan these vacations for when Brit and I were in between projects.

"You're kidding!" Brit smiled, getting up to hug our parents. I was quick to follow.

After excitedly thanking our parents, we returned to our spots on the couches, taking our time to open the rest of the presents. The longer we sat, however, the more my mind wandered.

And when it did, it drifted to Jack.

Jack, the boy I'd only recently reconnected with. My best friend during my early teen years. The boy who broke my heart. The same boy who told me it was all a misunderstanding. The boy who kissed me and seemingly put all of my broken pieces back together.

The same person that I wasn't quite sure where I stood with him.

We definitely weren't just friends anymore.

He left to fly home to Virginia two days ago now and every part of me wished he was here. I wanted to sit down and have that deep talk, figure out what we were to each other. Did I need to move on, or could I unpack and stay right here where I wanted to be?

Where I've wanted to be since all those years ago when I finally came to terms with my feelings.

My phone started to vibrate, catching my attention and pulling me from my thoughts. I fought the smile on my lips at the sight of who was calling.

How'd he know I was thinking about him?

I excused myself from the living room, my parents knew that the call must be important if I was leaving them during Christmas morning. Answering the call, I fast-walked down the hall so I could talk privately.

"Merry Christmas, J." I let the smile finally break through.

"Merry Christmas, H." It was like I could hear the smile in his voice through the phone, "I tried waiting as long as possible to call you, wanted to give you the morning with your family, but I couldn't wait any longer."

"We're almost done opening presents, so you almost had perfect timing." I shrugged, leaning against the wall in the hallway.

Oh, what I would do to hug him right now.