twenty

december 16, 2022

"Ice skating?"

Bailey flicked Jamie in the ear, already done with his complaints. "Yes, because this is fun and we're going to enjoy it."

I laughed at her seriousness about the outing she'd chosen for us. It was our last day in Toronto, the official release day of Avatar: the Way of Water. And instead of going to watch it for the umpteenth time, we'd decided to hang out as a cast and for some reason Bailey was put in charge of the planning.

I'm sure Jamie was regretting that decision now.

"You know it's gonna be fun, Jamie." Trinity laughed, taking one of his hands in hers and basically running toward the entrance.

Caleigh showed up at my side. "I, for one, am excited. I love ice skating."

"You've literally never mentioned that."

"Well, I do. Ok? Trust me."

She skipped off with Bailey, leaving me alone with Jack. I swallowed harshly.

We'd kissed the night before last and definitely hadn't talked about it. Not in a "i'm avoiding you" type of way, more so in a "that's a discussion for a later time" type of way. If anything, we'd just become closer friends.

It was no longer awkward to talk to each other, but I still had to remind myself that it was okay to be myself around him again. Jack was no longer the bad guy I made him out to be anymore. I had been the one to make him that way. He never intended to break my heart, I just never gave him the chance to finish talking.

"Do you know how to ice skate?" his voice broke me from my thoughts.

I shrugged, "Kind of? Our parents took Brit and I a few times as kids, but I wasn't stellar then either."

Jack hooked his arm around my shoulders, although I wish he'd held my hand, "So, sounds like we're gonna suffer through this together." A laugh fell from his lips.

My favorite sound. And the lips? Holy shit. They were perfect and I miss them being on mine, even only for a second.

Wait, no.

Not the time to miss him like that. I need more time.

20 minutes later and our ice skating outing was in full swing.

Trinity still has hold of Jamie's hand, dragging him along. Bailey and Caleigh are skating laps around us all. Then Jack was by my side, our hands occasionally brushing as we went, our conversation never ceasing.

"Shit!" I yelled as I felt my balance give way.

In the most cliche ways, Jack caught me before I hit the ice, saving me from the cold ground. Our eyes connected and we both laughed at the situation. He pulled me back up to my feet, making sure I was steady before moving his hands from my arms.

"Maybe I should hold onto you from now on?" his eyes stayed locked with mine as he slowly ran his fingers down my arm and into my hand, interlacing our fingers.

I swore my heart skipped a beat once I saw the adoration in his eyes, "That's a good idea."

The two of us continued to make our way around the rink, enjoying our time together. Maybe I should thank Bailey later for this idea.

"Caleigh, how are you so fucking good at this?" Jamie called out to the girl, his hands gripping so tightly at Trinity's hand i'm sure she was in pain.

The man looked incredibly uncomfortable out on the ice. It was hilarious.

I looked to find Caleigh only to witness her fall. And it was bad, it looked like it hurt.

We all rushed over to her, Jamie and Trinity reaching her first. The older held his hands out for her, wanting to help her out — even if he wasn't the best at skating himself. Their hands stayed connected as his eyes scanned her body for any noticeable injuries.

I leaned into Jack, watching the scene in front of us unfold. "Oh my god, Cales. That was a hard fall, you okay?" His british accent very prominent as he questioned her.

"You called me Cales." she spoke breathlessly.

He chuckled, his eyes finally falling on hers, the corners of his eyes crinkling. "Yeah, I did. But are you okay?"

Reluctantly, she broke their eye contact, looking down at her body. "Um, maybe?" Then her eyes found his again.

I swear they're both head over heels for each other, it's adorable.

"Mind if I take you off the ice to check real quick?"

What I would do to be inside Caleigh's head right now. I'm sure i'll hear about this later.

"Yeah, sure." she kept her eyes on him, the boy chuckling again before leading her off the ice.

Jack squeezed my hand, turning my attention to him. He had the goofiest smile on his face and I knew he was thinking the same thing.

"You think they'll get together before Christmas?" he questioned, glancing at the two before looking back at me.

"For sure."

Eventually, we were all exhausted and decided to call it quits. We were all standing around after turning our skates in and trying to determine where we'd go for food. It's definitely not going to be easy to satisfy 6 people's food cravings.

"I have so much to tell you later," Caleigh giggled, running over to me. She then glanced over to where Jack stood, where he was probably already looking at me. "And you too?"

"What I think you need to do is talk to Jack."

She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "You're right, and unfortunately I know why you want me to. And I agree."

I watched as the small girl skipped off, straight up to the tall curly headed boy. Jamie then walked up to my side.

"What's she up to?" he questioned, voice quiet.

My gaze switched to Jamie for a second, "Just watch." We leaned into each other as we watched the other 2's interaction.

When Jack noticed Caleigh's presence he looked mildly concerned. The girl held out her hand for the boy, he hesitantly connected their hands. A gasp left my mouth when she tugged him down to her height.

Me and Jamie both grabbed onto each other, shocked at Caleigh's actions.

"I'm choosing to forgive you." she spoke, staring into his eyes, narrowing her gaze before she spoke again. "But if you hurt my best friend one more time, I will make you wish you were never born. Are we clear, Champion?"

Jack's mouth fell open, the slightest shock evident on his face. "Clear."

Caleigh let him go, both standing up straight. The sweetest smile now on her face.

"Great, now that that's done i'm starving. Chinese or pizza?"

i'm not sure what part
of this chapter is my favorite