the story of that night

3rd person POV

"In you go." Jamie urged, opening the apartment door for the drunk girl.

The british boy didn't know what he was doing back at the Dalton house when he volunteered to take Caleigh home. There was just something about her that drew him in.

When they first met, over a month ago now, Jamie didn't pay much attention to the girl. Caleigh was just the girl that flirted with him, paid attention to him. She was Holland's assistant - nothing more, nothing less.

But over time, something's changed.

Jamie began looking at Caleigh differently, and he wasn't sure when that happened - or how.

"Oh fuck." Caleigh mumbled, tripping over her own feet and falling to the ground.

Jamie cursed under his breath, running over to the girl and grabbing hold of her. Not even thinking, he picked the girl up and carried her down the hallway. Eventually finding her bedroom and walking in, setting her down on the bed.

He wasn't sure why he felt weird walking into her bedroom, but he did.

"J, don't go just yet." Jamie was only going to fetch the girl a glass of water and pain medication for when she inevitably woke up with a headache, but her plead drew him back.

He sat down on the edge of the bed, only a few feet away from the girl. She lazily reached out to him, unashamedly collecting one of his hands in both of her own. "You know, I'm not what you think I am."

"What do you mean, Cales?" Jamie furrowed his brows.

Caleigh's eyes were on their hands, she'd maneuvered their hands so she could interlace their fingers, her other hand resting on top of the connected two. "My personality is entirely fake."

"Fake?" He turned his body toward her, subconsciously moving closer.

She nodded, "I overdo my confidence, it's not real. I've put on this show for years just so people would like me... I think. I don't know, but even my relentless flirting with you - which you never return, by the way, kind of rude of you - it's all part of the show." Caleigh shrugged, dropping her head down on Jamie's shoulder.

Jamie sat there, dumbfounded. Caleigh was entirely different than what he thought. She was always this force of nature. No one could tear her down.

Or so he thought, apparently.

He wanted her to lift her head up, stare her in the eyes, and make her believe that she didn't need to put on a show for anyone. She was perfect the way that she was. People liked her for her, not the show that she felt she needed to put on.

She sat up abruptly, her eyes getting lost in his deep blue ones. Hiccuping, Caleigh took her free hand and cupped his cheek, "I love you."

His eyes went wide. "Do you really love me?" Jamie leaned into her hand, his eyes staying locked with hers.

Another hiccup.

Caleigh shrugged, sitting up straight and letting both of her hands fall into her lap. The boy caught himself frowning at the loss of her contact, internally cursing himself for feeling what he felt.

"Dunno, I've only ever loved Holland before." Her gaze was downcast, suddenly not feeling as though she could let their eyes connect. "My Mom and Dad never really said it, to each other or to me. So, I'm not sure that I know what love feels like..."

Jamie's features softened.

No one would have ever thought this about Caleigh. And everything in him wanted to show her what it was like to be loved and loved right.

"You're pretty." Jamie didn't even have the chance to fully process what Caleigh had said before her hand cupped his face once more, tilting his head up to face her. "Especially your eyes, like damn."

His mouth opened just slightly, confused as to why she was telling him this and why she was touching him like this.

"Oh, and how nice you are. How you make everyone feel special." Her eyes searched his, even letting her thumb run over the stubble on his cheek.

Jamie's heart skipped a beat. "You do all of that too, Cales." He forced a laugh from his mouth, trying to get his mind off of everything she was making him feel.

Caleigh kept her hand on his cheek, the two sitting there just staring into his eyes. The boy all too aware of how fast his heart was beating at the situation they were in.

Another hiccup came from the girl's mouth and it was like it all finally clicked. Caleigh was and still very much is wasted. Jamie cursed under his breath, looking down at his lap, breaking the eye contact he had held for what felt like an eternity.

He stood up quickly, trying to ignore the frown on the girl's lips. "Let's, uh... fuck, let's get you to bed. Ok? It's late and we've got brunch plans tomorrow."

Caleigh groaned, making sure the noise was loud enough for the Brit to hear. He ignored her disgruntled attitude and proceeded to make sure she got under the covers as he needed her to.

"I'm in my bed, happy now?" she glared up at the boy, overdoing the pout on her lips.

Jamie chuckled at the girl's dramatics.

He leaned over her, pulling the covers up for her. Jamie leaned down, pressing a kiss to her forehead, letting his lips linger. He'd wanted to actually kiss her, but the timing and situation were beyond wrong for that.

Maybe one day, but definitely not now.

"Would you stay?" Caleigh's voice was quiet when she asked.

Jamie stood up, looking down at her. He wanted to say yes, he really did, but he couldn't. "Not this time, Cales." His fingers brushed her cheek.

She sighed, "I knew a guy like you would never go for someone like me." Jamie's heart broke at Caleigh's mumbled words.

Did she really think that?

He dropped down beside her, his hand now cupping her cheek and his thumb gently caressed the soft skin. "Don't think that, please. I just... fuck, Cales. It'll happen, we'll happen. Just not now."

tbh i'm in a bit of a writer's block
at the moment... BUT i knew i
wanted to write this. bc tbh jamie
and caleigh are probs my fav ship.
is that bad? HAHAH

this is for you kiki0626
thx for helping me 24/7