ten

december 4, 2022

"That was brutal."

Bailey groaned, falling back on one of the spare beds in Jamie's hotel room. It had been a long day of interviews and touring London — Jamie helped with that part — and we'd all decided that hanging out together at the end of the night would make it better.

"I've never been so happy for a day to end." I laughed, sipping on the beer that Jamie had handed me the moment I walked in. He said something about how since I'm 18 now I can legally drink here.

I definitely wasn't complaining. If I was going to be made to spend countless hours around Jack, I was definitely going to need some alcohol in my system. My eyes drifted over to where he sat, new haircut and all, also sipping on a beer. Maybe he felt the same way that I did?

Trinity fell down onto the bed next to me, "So, when is Kit getting here? I'm dying to see him again."

"You've met him? No fair!" Bailey gasped from the other bed.

I laughed at the girl's jealousy. It was cute.

"Eh, he's okay." Caleigh shrugged, laying beside me but her eyes glued on Jamie. I wonder if she'll ever tell him that she likes him. Because Jamie will never figure it out, because after knowing the boy for years, he's one of the most oblivious people I've met.

My phone buzzed in my hand, Kit texting me to say he was getting off of the elevator on the floor we were all staying on. I smiled, excited to see the boy, even though I went straight to his flat when I landed in London yesterday.

"He just got off the elevator," the smile still on my face as I crawled off of the bed, beer still in hand as I went to open the door.

Just as he knocked, I pulled the door open. His lips were immediately on mine, kissing me softly. It was how he typically greeted me.

The boy walked in, greeting everyone and then coming close and hugging me tightly. Everyone was ecstatic to meet the boy, saying how they'd heard so many great things about him.

"Joe says you're a loser for not inviting him tonight," Kit mumbled in my ear as we sat together on a bed.

I rolled my eyes, laughing. "We literally got lunch yesterday."

"He says that wasn't enough, apparently he wanted to meet everyone."

Trinity threw her hands out to the side, "He could've come! I totally want to meet him someday, Heartstopper is amazing."

Kit blushed at the compliment. He always did.

He was the type of guy to still not believe that he was worthy of all of the compliments and awards. Kit never understood why people appreciated his talent so much.

"Kit, this is Jamie, Bailey, you know Trinity and Caleigh, and uh, Jack." I mentally cursed myself at how my voice changed when I said Jack's name, hoping that Kit - or anyone else for that matter - wouldn't recognize the change.

Kit showed off one of his signature smiles, "Nice to meet you all, officially."

All Kit did was wrap his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Maybe he hadn't recognized my hesitation to introduce my ex-best friend? Either way, I still chugged the rest of my beer. I wonder if I could get drunk enough to erase this night from my memory.