eight

november 15, 2022

the day between holland + jack's birthdays

"H! Pool day?"

I looked at Caleigh through the bathroom mirror where I was braiding my hair. She already wore a plain turquoise bikini with her hair in a single french braid. "Sure."

A smile broke free on her face, "Perfect! I picked out a bikini for you, be ready in 10. Ok?" Of course she had things ready.

Yesterday, we spent the whole day in the parks. Caleigh had gotten us fast passes for my favorite rides, reservations at my favorite restaurants, and even somehow managed to get me the best spot for the fireworks. She'd really gone all out for my 18th birthday.

When I walked back into the bedroom, I found a lavender colored bikini. It was one that had belonged to Caleigh and I had made jealousy filled comments about it countless times. I couldn't help but smile, she was letting me wear it for a simple pool day.

It didn't take long for me to get changed and pull on a pair of denim shorts to wear down to the pool. Caleigh linked her arm with mine before essentially dragging me out the door. We made it to the lobby in no time.

I unintentionally dropped my sunglasses when stepping out of the elevator, immediately stopping to pick them up. When I stood back up, however, Caleigh was nowhere to be seen.

What the hell?

"Going to the pool?"

The familiar voice caused a sour taste in my mouth. I turned to see Jack standing a few feet away, a dark purple pair of swim trunks on paired with a simple white tshirt.

"Caleigh asked me to."

He chuckled, "Jamie told me to meet him down there."

Coincidence?

Hopefully.

Silently, we walked together, both a couple of feet apart until we reached the pool area. I'm pretty sure the horror set at the same time for both of us when we saw what was set up before us.

The entire pool area was decorated for a birthday. Balloons, streamers, and banners everywhere. Both the young cast and some of the older — Sam and Zoe had apparently flown in with their families — standing around the pool.

"Surprise!" they all yelled.

I stood in shock, taking it all in. The tipping point was probably the banner — Happy 18th Birthday Holland and Jack!

We hadn't had a party like this in 2 years. Shortly before shit hit the fan.

"I brought the cake again!" Sam beamed, the man standing next to a table that had a giant sheet cake on it. He was so proud of himself.

My heart swelled, he really was like a dad to us all.

Jack and I put on fake smiles and joined everyone. I quickly hugged both Sam and Zoe, actually ecstatic that the two were here. I didn't think we'd see them until we got to London in early December, so this was a great surprise.