fourteen

december 11, 2022

"These pancakes are so fucking good."

I choked on my water, slapping a hand over my mouth at Jenna's words. "Oh my god."

Somehow I had convinced Mason Gooding, Liana Liberato, Jasmin Savoy, Devyn Nekoda, and Jenna Ortega — members of the last 2 "Scream" films — to get brunch with me and Caleigh. We had to be at the LA press junket by 1pm, so a 10:30 meeting time was a must.

"I love that you picked a pancake place." Jasmin smiled as she shoved another bite of her food into her mouth, "And a really good one."

"Expect anything else from yours truly?"

We were all shoveling food in our mouths, almost as if we'd never eaten before.

Mason nudged my arm, "So, how'd everything go with you know who?"

His question got us all quiet. Everyone stopped their mini conversations and started eating quietly, all looking over to where I sat. I swallowed harshly, nerves taking over my body.

My fork made a noise as I sat it down on the plate, "Well." I glanced over at Caleigh, the girl giving me a sympathetic look from her spot next to Jenna. "I almost fought him at Disney."

Someone laughed, but I didn't see, my eyes were on my food. It seemed more interesting than anything else right now.

"Then London, things got a tad awkward. Uh, Kit broke up with me because he thinks I still have feelings for Jack and that somehow Jack has feelings for me. And, well, we almost sat next to each other at the premier but Caleigh did me a solid."

Caleigh giggled, "I'm your girl."

"And then there was yesterday."

Devyn spoke up, "Yesterday?"

I nodded, breathing out heavily. "He came to my house and asked if we could try and be friends again. I said yes, but I don't know how I feel about it." I was lost.

My mind was running rampant.

"Oh!" Caleigh dropped her fork on her plate, "I called him a bitch as he left."

I stifled my laughter, thankful that the girl could make me laugh when I felt like crying.

"You called my boy a bitch?"Mason scoffed.

I elbowed him. "Because he is... sometimes."

"And then I called him out for his shit. Gah, it was liberating! But then he had the nerve to play dumb and not realize that our H was still hurt from the day he broke her heart."

Caleigh's explanation stung a little, reminding me of the day I longed to forget. But I was thankful everyone here knew. And I was also glad that they didn't let their knowledge color their perception of their castmate. He wasn't a bad person, it was just a shitty situation.

We were teenagers and he broke my heart. Stuff like that happens.

"But what do I do?" I looked back up, my glossy eyes scanning the group.