epilogue

"Bacon sandwich today?" Skylar asks me

"Yes they're your lunch for today, don't do what you did yesterday and eat them on the school bus. Mommy can't drive down from her big job to bring you pasta again." I tell her. 

Skylar nods and takes her bag of food. Skylar is six now, she's short for a six year old, but she has her mom to blame for that. 

I've seen pictures of Nova as a child and she looks like she was destined to be five one. 

"Daddy!" Amadi shouts as she runs down the stairs. Amadi is eight and she's a lot taller than Skylar, she got her dad's genes. "Mommy is missing!" 

I laugh at my daughter and shake my head. "Mommy went to the shops to get us some milk." 

"Oh. Daddy you have to help me do my hair then." Amadi sticks out a comb and a hairband. 

In the eight years my elder daughter has been on the planet I've done her hair three times. She always complains when I do it because I apparently don't do it as good as mommy. 

I think it looks cute when I do it, but Amadi seems to disagree. 

"Are you sure?" I tilt my head at her and she nods. "If you're sure." 

Amadi sits on one of the chairs at our dining table. I grab the comb and pull her hair back into a little ponytail. "Hairband?" 

She passes me a pink sparkly one and I tie her hair up. I pull two strands out of the front. Her hairband has kittens on them and I put it on her head. 

I find the nearest mirror and put it in front of her. "Look good?"

"Daddy this is the first time you've made my hair look nice." She grabs my face and kisses me on the cheek. "Thank you!" 

Nova had to teach me how to manage Afro-Carribean hair. When it came to the hair department Amadi and Skylar got their mom's type. 

I love their hair and how it brings out their personalities. Skylar has hers all curly at the back with two buns and the front. 

Amadi prefers a more simple style with her hair in a neat bun or braids all the time.  

Having daughters was one of the best decisions of my life. Right after falling in love with Nova Chetti and marrying her. 

"Dalia said she'd give me some of her mom's banana bread tomorrow!" Skylar comes running back to me and tells me. 

Dalia is Skylar's best friend. It's not hard to see why seeing as her parents are always with Nov and I for dinners and movie nights.

Amadi's best friend is Tiana whose parents live a couple doors down from us. 

It's also not shocking to see why they're best friends seeing as her dad and older brother are always watching soccer games with me. 

When her dad isn't playing a game. 

"I'm back!" Nov shouts. I see my wife holding two massive grocery bags and I rush over to help her out. 

"Mommy look how daddy did my hair!" Nova looks proud of me and smiles. 

"Well done daddy!" She giggles and I put the bags on the kitchen island. 

"Mommy!" Skylar loves attention from her mom more than anything. Her mom and her are so alike it's hilarious. 

Amadi is much more like me. Amadi sits in my office with me, while I'm writing a piece, and does her homework. 

I'm immensely proud of both my girls. 

All three of my girls for that matter. 

"Yes Sky?" Nova bends down to Skylar's height. 

"Dalia's mommy is letting me have some banana bread." That's not exactly what she just said to me but I'll let it slide. 

"That's sweet of her. Dalia's mommy is the best isn't she?" 

"Not better than you mommy." Skylar smiles at Nov sweetly. 

"Why thank you. Ami are you all ready?" Nova asks our eldest. 

"Yes mommy!" Nova opens her arms and Amadi comes running into her arms. Nov kisses her forehead. The motherly kiss she's been giving me for years. 

"I love you two." Skylar is hugging her around the leg. 

"Let daddy join the hug." I hug Nov from behind and rest my head on her shoulder. 

"I love you Nov." I kiss her cheek. 

"I love you Carter." She looks at me and beams. "Okay come on you guys! School!" 

The girls both grab their bags. "Bye daddy!" They shout at me. 

"Bye girls have a good day!" I tell them and wave. 

It's just Nova and I inside. "I read your article on the Bruins game, it was great Grant." She turns around to check for the girls and then presses a soft kiss to my lips. 

"Thanks Nov or should I say the new manager?" 

"New manager sounds good." She laughs and wipes my lips. "You have red lipstick on you." 

"Oh well. I'll clean it off before I go in. Kiss me again." Nova giggles and kisses me one more time before pressing her hands against my chest. 

"The girls are waiting. Have a good day." She walks away and picks up her car keys from the table. 

"You too Nov." She shuts the door behind her. 

I hit the jackpot in life and it's not even a competition.