Genny from the Block

Start from the beginning

"There's no way your ass is 42 inches around." I say in disbelief buttoning my shirt.

"I've got a measuring tape you can see for yourself."

"I'll conduct my research in my own time."

"Get a fucking room."

"I'd go to hers but Gayle is in there."

"Nevermind. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy."

"What's her problem?"

"She just isn't very interested in the friendly part of being in a band."

"So she never goes out after shows?" I shake my head.

"Not even once but you're more fun than she is anyway."

"Yea, G. It's really nice to have another party animal in the group." Andre says walking over to us with a smile.

"Is this what you're wearing?" I look over her body noticing this jumpsuit I've never seen before. It's bright pink and fits like a glove. She looks great but this isn't something I've ever seen her wear before. At least, not to go out. She only really wears bright colors for dance.

"No. I just threw this on because it's cold in the room and it was the first thing with pants I found."

"You should wear it."

"So everyone can be staring at me all night? No, thank you." She says sucking her teeth, leaning on the desk beside me.

"What're you going to wear then?"

"I've got this long dress."

"What color?"

"Off white."

"You're gonna be cold out there. It's only 40° outside."

"It has sleeves."

"Why're you wearing a dress anyway, G? You not gonna be able to party in that."

"What should I wear then? Since everybody's got an opinion."

"Where that black outfit with the red top, Genny babe."

"I can't wear that! You got me that for the fashion show."

"Yea but I want to see you in it."

"You'll see me in it when you pick me up from the airport." A knock on the door interrupts our conversation. Andre walks over taking a peek through the peephole.

"It's your friend, G."

"Is it cool if he comes in." I look over at Andre who just shrugs. I nod giving my approval and he lets Alex in.

"Genevieve in here?"

"Yea, she's over there."

"Why didn't you tell me you weren't in your room?"

"I was supposed to be but everyone in this room thinks I should be wearing something else."

"You should. I ain't never seen you go out looking like this."

"Like what?" She says shocked.

"Like a girl!" Alex says teasing.

"G, used to be a tomboy?"

"I wasn't a tomboy! I just wore a lot of pants because it hid my ass a little better and my family was too poor to buy me new clothes."

"Don't lie to them Miss Genevieve. You used to come to school in tore up jeans and old sneakers."

"You didn't tell me you went to school together."

"He transferred our senior year but kept taking dance at our studio until he moved."

"Tell us about this other Genevieve."

"Yea who was she in high school?" I smirk grabbing my shoes.

"Freshman year Genny came in wearing baggy pants and sneakers. She kept her hair pulled back in a really tight ponytail. She talked like everyone else but she seemed a little different. Sophomore year she came back with some better clothes. Her clothes fit better but it was still pants and sneakers. By winter break, she had made a complete new wardrobe that she made and started wearing cute outfits. Still pants but usually bell bottoms. She said it made her look taller but I knew she was hiding massive platforms."

"Don tell all mi secrets!"

"After that, she started wearing her hair out in this giant afro and everyone realized she was the most beautiful girl in school. That's also when she made varsity and all the popular cheerleader girls got jealous."

"Then I started cheering and they really hated me!"

"Remember how you used to wear those really tight shirts with your baggy pants?"

"I thought it was balanced. My pants were enormous!"

"You should've just worn dresses like all the other little pretty girls at school."

"So all those horny teenage boys could stare at mi ass everyday? No tanks."

"So G, did the a full 180?" Andre smiles looking over his shoulder as he adjusts his hair in the mirror.

"Are you all done talking about me? I'm sure everyone else is ready to go."