Final Straw

Prince's POV

I never would've agreed to do this movie with Mayte if I knew we'd be fighting all the time. It's been six months since we started filming and she only gets more unbearable. Even now, I've locked myself in my dressing room. She's done nothing but push my buttons all day and seeing her isn't helping. Good thing we get an hour lunch.

My mind goes over all we've been through. The loss of our first child, the second child, the revelation of her infidelity, the loss of that child. I just don't know what to do or think about it all. I do love her but maybe I shouldn't. I let out a sigh just as there's a knock on the door.

"Go away, Mayte."

"It's Genevieve." I slowly stand from my seat in the couch and unlock the door before opening it. "You didn't grab lunch before you left. Thought you might be hungry." She holds out a bag with my name on it in big swooping cursive. I take it from her without thought. "I just asked them to give me what you usually get from the sandwich shop down the street."

"I'll pay you back."

"I won't let you."

"You can come in if you'd like." I return to my seat across the room. Kicking my feet up as I open the bag. She hesitates for a while then, enters and takes a seat at the table near the door. "You don't have to stay here if you don't want."

"I thought you might like the company. Today seems to be a little hard."

"Hard ain't the half of it." I scoff unwrapping my sandwich.

"The people we care about are often the ones who push our buttons the most. It can be hard but, it can hurt, too. Especially if it seems intentional."

"What're you getting at?"

"Only that the people closest to us know exactly what brings us to our breaking points and that gives them power over us sometimes." Silence fills the room as I contemplate her words only interrupted by the sound of Tyson calling for her. She takes a breath then stands from the table. "Please enjoy your food. I must go see what he needs." Before I can thank her she vanishes down the hallway.

Again I sit alone pondering. Mayte and her many betrayals. I'm not sure what I should do. She has my heart but she chooses to break it. I wonder if she even loves me anymore. Or if she just loves being with me. I look down at the food in front of me and my name on the bag catches my eye. I've never seen Genevieve's handwriting before but it's beautiful like calligraphy. I can't help but gaze at it as I continue to eat.

Genevieve POV

I walk out to the main stage to find Tyson looking very displeased. He scratches his arm nervously, tapping his foot rapidly to beat only he can hear.

"I asked for a bottle of water 15 minutes ago."

"The buffet is around the corner. Could you not have gotten one?"

"I'm paying you. So you do what I say. Go to that coffee shop I like and get me my usual." He hands me a small wad of cash from his pocket.

"That coffee shop is 4 streets away!"

"You'd better walk fast to get back in time." I grab my jacket and head out the door to the coffee shop. "And bring my change and my duffel bag in when you get back." This is the second time this week he's found himself trying to teach me a lesson. I can't take this anymore. I walk swiftly to the coffee shop and wait in line impatiently. He'll yell at me regardless but I'd still like to get back at a reasonable time.

"What'll it be?"

"Large black coffee 8 sugars and a double toasted bagel with extra cream cheese." I pay the cashier and wait for Tyson's food at a table in the corner. When they call his name I grab the coffee and the little bag and begin the brisk walk back to First Avenue.