Show Up

Genevieve's POV

I stand against the wall with my eyes closed. It's October and the cold air feels good on my overheated body. It doesn't help that I'm still in my warmups. I take deep breaths and start humming. The notes flit around in the air and pleases my ears. I can't remember the last time I sang just because.

"Sounds like you found your humming song." Prince says softly putting a bottle of water in my hand. I unscrew the cap, tossing it aside and chugging the water. The bottle crinkles as its contents disappear. He takes the empty bottle from me and somewhere nearby I hear the swish of a trash bag. "Talk to me baby. What's on your mind?"

"Cavallo."

"What're you worried about him for?"

"It's all happening so quickly. What if he hates my choreography? What if I get stuck smiling and playing the tambourine? What if I mess up?"

"What if you turn bright pink and all your hair falls out?" My face turns up at the brashness of his comment and the thought of being pink and bald.

"Why do you say these things?"

"There's a lot of what ifs out there, mama. We can't think about all of them."

"I know, I just.... It's all happening so fast. This time last year I barely had a job. Now the entire next phase of my career is in the hands of some angry man who thinks I'm only here because you like me."

"You're going to prove him wrong, Genevieve." I pause for a moment

"I don't want to see him."

"He never shows up early and he always hangs in the back. You just need to focus on doing your best and having a great show. You'll feel better when the lights come up. You always do." I smile a little as he wraps his arms around my waist. He's right. I do always feel better when it's showtime. It's something we have in common. Whether it's the curtain, the lights, or the announcer calling my name, it all changes once the show begins.

"There she is." He smiles against my cheek. I wrap my arms around him and we sway a little in the shade of the building. "Come on, mama. Let's finish getting ready."

Prince's POV

I walk with her back inside and we go out separate ways at the dressing rooms.

"I'm gonna throw on my makeup and clothes. I'll meet you over there soon." She smiles softly.

"Alright."

"Please make sure they're all... decent."  I chuckle and nod before letting go of her hand and watching her walk away. I walk inside the dressing room.

"Hey, man. G, okay?" Andre asks.

"Yea, she looked really freaked out when she came over here earlier." Dez adds. I grab my clothes off the rack and quickly begin to change.

"She's alright now. Just feeling a nervous about the show. She's coming in here to help me get ready soon. Y'all better act right!"

"Cavallo must've put the fear of God in her." Andre chimes in fixing his hair and sitting on the couch.

"He was pretty ruthless. It didn't go very well."

"What he say?" Miko asks walking away from the mirror.

"He basically told her that she shouldn't dance because the show isn't about her. She called bullshit and he told her the truth."

"What's the truth?"

"They don't want her to perform because they think she's only in the band because I like her. They compared her to Mayte so y'all know how that turned out." The room snickers a little.