Chapter 1

It's another normal day here. Well, that's if you can call this normal. I wake up to hearing my neighbors in my run-down apartment fighting once again. When I say apartment, I use the term very lightly. Yes, it used to be an apartment complex, but it isn't really as big as it used to be. It's used more for low end housing so the city can say there is less homeless people than the last three years. Until the city 'renovated' these apartment complexes scattered throughout the city three years ago, you couldn't turn a corner without seeing at least two homeless people. I was included in that.

I'm nineteen and have been homeless for as long as I can remember. I have dark brown, curly hair that stops at my shoulder blades and blue eyes with a purple hue in them. I have a petite figure and am about five foot eight. Also, it's always been my mom and I for as long as I can remember. However, it seems we have been separated when being assigned apartments. I have not heard from her in three years. Why the city decided to separate a sixteen year old from her mother I will never know, but then again weirder things have happened in my life.

I have decided today is the day I am going to leave this place. Of course I've been saying this for about three months, but I'm doing it today. I know I am. I know this because I have a friend, who works in a new dance club and they are in need of a new DJ. I was promised an apartment above the club along with the job. You may ask 'why would they would hire a nineteen year old homeless girl?' It's simple really. About a month ago, I accidentally went in through the back of the club before it was opened because some thugs were chasing me. I thought I was alone so I walked around. I found the music equipment and quietly started playing around with it.

It was like I was born to do it. I knew automatically what I was supposed to be doing. I knew what tracks would be good with what. (I always have a radio on me so I know recent and popular songs.) I was so into doing what I was doing that I did not notice the man come up behind me. The man looked about my age. When he spoke to me, I automatically jumped up and went to leave. He grabbed my arm when I turned and he held it while he listened to the mix I made. "Come with me." He says looking at me.

"Why would I do that?"

"Just come with me."

"How do I know you won't hurt me?" I look at him in the face and see his blue eyes soften.

"I would never do that. Just trust me. You'll like this." He smiles.

I reluctantly nod and he leads me upstairs to a room that overlooks the club. I can see there is a guy that looks to be in his early forties sitting in one of the offices connected to it. The guy holding me motions for him to come here. I have no idea what's going on. "I see we have an intruder?" The man has brown, curly hair and brown eyes. He's in a suit and he frightens me a lot. He's about six foot tall and you can tell he is well built.

"We do, but there's something she can do that you will love." I look over at the guy who is still holding me. I notice he is wearing just a t-shirt and jeans. His blonde hair covers his eyes partially. He's a little taller than the guy in the suit and if it's possible, built even more. You can tell, even through the baggy clothes.

The man looks intrigued. "And what is that?"

"This." He pulls out the laptop that I was playing on earlier. He presses a button and the tracks I set up play. The first one is a song by a band called Family Force 5. When it goes off it smoothly transitions to a song by Shotek.

The man's eyebrows raise. "We could definitely use her." His hard exterior dissolves when he looks at me. "What's your name sweetheart?"

"Lavender."