Nowhere To Return | 024 |

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ Chapter 24  || Nowhere to Return ]

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Dazai and [Y/n] descended into the dark basement. The air was thick with the smell of mildew and dampness, and the only light came from a single flickering bulb hanging overhead. The two were unfazed by the gloomy surroundings as they descended deeper into the darkness. In the basement, Dazai's subordinates were gathered and standing in their distinctive black suits and black sunglasses. They were waiting for their superior to arrive and give them their next order.

Their footsteps echoed off the walls as they reached the bottom of the stairs, and [Y/n] scanned the area for any signs of life. To her disbelief and anger, she saw several bodies lying on the ground, all of them clearly dead. The smell of metal and blood filled the air, making her even angrier. As she got closer to the bodies, her kimono swayed and became stained with the blood-red liquid. She carefully examined the scene, trying to piece together what had happened and who was responsible for the sight before her.

The men's bodies were covered in bullet wounds as blood pooled. "We'd like an explanation," Dazai ordered, his voice devoid of emotion. The room fell silent as everyone waited for someone's explanation. After a few moments, a man began hesitantly to speak, eventually explaining the situation in detail.

"We captured Mimic's vanguard that attacked the casino with the knockout gas as planned. One of them committed suicide, but we brought the other three here. We were planning to have them talk about the others. We even removed the cyanide hidden in their teeth." As the man continued, Dazai interrupted him. "I know that. Because this was all part of my plan. I wish to know what occurred after that." The men were beginning to perspire heavily as they feared the wrath of the two executives.

"O-One of the soldiers woke up earlier than expected. Before we could cuff him, he stole one of our guns and most likely shot his comrades so they wouldn't talk. He also came after us..." As the man was about to continue, [Y/n] intervened. "Can someone among you explain why my captured member is present among the others?" The subordinates trembled in dread, afraid to respond for fear of further infuriating her. [Y/n]'s voice grew louder and more menacing as she continued, "I demand an explanation, and I will not tolerate any more silence or hesitation from you. Speak now or face the consequences."

One of them finally spoke up, "Ma'am, we were instructed to bring him along with the rest." [Y/n]'s fist tightened into a fist, causing her knuckles to turn white as she tried to control her anger. She looked down at her palm to see that her palm was producing crescent-shaped imprints. She took a deep breath and tried to control her anger, "Who gave you the instructions?" she asked firmly. 

The group of men exchanged nervous glances but before one of them could reluctantly reveal the name of who did, a new voice injected amid the man. "I did. I brought the member here. So I decided to take care of it." Speaking as he neared, Akutagawa's footsteps reverberated off the walls. "Is there a problem?" [Y/n]'s control over her ability slipped. The rage she felt was overwhelming, and as she stood in the basement where they had been held captive, she could feel the heat rising within her.