57

It was hours before the beautiful glowing inferno rose up above the horizon. Anya had not gone back to sleep, not long after her talk with Inej, the Suli assassin had gone back to the cabin to try to catch up on some much needed rest. She needed it, especially if she was heading back into the crime ridden cesspool that is Ketterdam. Anya stood with her arms resting on the railing of the ship, lost in her own thoughts. Her fingers had been picked to the point they were raw and bleeding.

She couldn't get over her dream. It was so realistic. She's had dreams like that before, but something about this one felt different. So lost in her thoughts she didn't even notice when the soft tapping sound of a cane came up behind her.

"Did you sleep?" Anya snapped out of her trance at the sound of his voice. She glanced over shoulder to see Kaz standing a few feet behind. His posture was straight, and Anya could tell he was holding the head of his cane tightly in his fist.

"A little." She replied after a prolonged silence. "Surprised you noticed. After all it seems to me that you've been avoiding me since we stepped foot on this ship." She snarked, turning back towards the ocean.

Yeah, this was a new thing. Lately, the two of them haven't be able to go five minutes without bickering with each other. It started after they left Os Kervo. At first everything was fine, but then slowly Kaz started distancing himself. He wouldn't look her in the eye and only spoke to her when necessary.

"I haven't been avoiding you-" Anya scoffed cutting him off. Kaz looked down as feet. He's been dreading this conversation, he knew it was bound to happen but he had hoped he'd have a little more time to prepare.

"Anya-"

"Do you regret it?" She blurts. "What happened between us, do you regret it?" He was way to quiet for her liking. Not long after he started avoiding her, Inej told her about his touch aversion. Anya had almost burst into tear crying after. She thought she had made him uncomfortable and that's why he was avoiding her. She had sat down with him that night and talked him. She apologized for what felt like hours. He had reassured her that everything was fine between them. Obviously, that was a blatant lie, and Anya felt like a fool for believing him.

"Yes." At the moment, Anya felt her heart break into a million pieces. She turned around to face him, her face now streaked with tears. The stoic feature he always kept remained on his face. Anya looked down at her feet before wiping away her tears. Kaz began reaching towards her, but she slapped her hand away.

"Don't!" She yelled. As she walked away, she suddenly felt an uncontrollable anger surge through her. She turned back to face him and watched as he jumped at the sight of her. Her eyes blazed a bright orange, and bright cracks formed up her face. She took a few steps towards him staring into his dark eyes. She reached into her shirt before yanking the necklace she shared with Kaz off of her neck. She showed no emotion has she grabbed his leather clad hand and slammed the necklace into his palm.

"You know what they say. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You played me Kaz Brekker, and made me into a fool just like he did. I thought you were different but now? Now, I see you are exactly like him." That statement alone almost broke Kaz's unbreakable facade. He watched as she stormed away. He wanted so badly to chase after and tell her that he didn't mean it. That in a million years he would never regret what happened between them. He looks upon the horizon, thinking back to the conversation he had with Jesper just before he came up.

'She can't come with us. She's a living Saint, Kaz. Her and Alina are the only ones that can destroy the Fold. We take her with us and we're signing her death warrant.'

After an inner battle with himself for hours, he knew Jesper was right. He couldn't put her life a risk, not with the whole world after her. She needed to be with Alina to restore order to Ravka. As much as he wanted to he couldn't afford to be selfish. Not with her. So he watched as the ship that carried the women he loved sailed away from him. He gripped the necklace tight in his fist and it was only in that moment that he let a single tear fall down his cheek.

'I'll find you again, and when I do. I'm never letting you go again'

~~~~~~~~~

Y'all please don't hate me!!!!!!! I wanted so badly for her to stay with Kaz but then I watched the rest of the show and was like....SHIT! I promise this is not the end of them. I do have a plan. Anyways thank you so much for reading, it really means a lot to see all of you commenting and voting in my story. You guys are amazing! Until next time.